Search the forum,

Discuss Tiling Standards (BS 5385) | British Wall and Floor Tiling Standards - IN FULL in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

L

LM

Put a 2m long straight edge anywhere on the plasterboard and if there is any gap greater than 3mm between the straight edge and the board then it is not flat enough to tile.
On the tiled wall do the same test using a 2m straight edge with 3mm feet each end. If the gap between this and the tiles exceeds 6mm or the straight edge touches the tiling then the tiling does not meet BS.
This is based on my memory of reading BS5385 a while ago (I no longer have an up to date copy).

The same tests apply for the flatness of a floor substrate and floor tiling.
On a large floor the surface should also be flat within +/-15mm of the datum or as per the architects specified tolerance. I don't know the equivalent wall building tolerance.
I have to deal with clark of works a lot and the above is exactly right, to simplify it if a pound coin which is 3mm can fit anywhere under a two metre straight edge anywhere on the substrate then the substrate is out of tolerence and a quick tip is to tape a pound coin to both edges of a 2 metre straight edge an use two pound coins on the floor

F

Flintstone

I agree totally but out there in people's homes, your up against all sorts, if I did the pound coin test on every job, I'd never work!

area tiling

TF
Arms
Reaction score
It seems to be the norm these days , and when you tell the client you need a couple of Xtra bags to level out walls etc , they Moan n groan !
Id a small bathroom floor today that was 1.9 m long and was out of level by 12mm ! New floor

F

Flintstone

It depends how involved you want to get, I normally look at a job before I actually start it, If it needs some work then I tell them to get it sorted. If I sub to someone then it's sorted before I turn up. I don't do rip outs because it's a mucky horrible job that I don't need!

Reply to Tiling Standards (BS 5385) | British Wall and Floor Tiling Standards - IN FULL in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello there, Relatively recently we had a new en-suite fitted (complete rip out of the old...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen