Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Tiling Standards (BS 5385) | British Wall and Floor Tiling Standards - IN FULL in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
bring back flogging,thats what I say.Then well see how straight they get em.
Nice floor by the way.Reminds me of a job I took on once.The whole floor was dug up and put in bins and left in the blokes garden forever.All I was given was a photo copy of what it used to look like,he got jim the tilers version.

R

Rizzle from the Portizzle

Wanna hear another absolute stinker on this??? Based on the examples given in EN14411..... again.

Example.... A range of tiles which for examples sake is called Asbestos Bog.... available in 3 colours, Black, White and Poo Brown (3 colours associated with an asbestos bog... see what I did there? white pan, black cistern, and...... nevermind!)

The nominal size is 600x300. The customer has worked out a design for a single wall based on this advertised (and legally acceptable) size.

Due to the manufucturing process and timings of the batches, the Black is 599x299. The White is 595x296. The Poo Brown is 600x295.

These tiles are within nominal sizing.
These tiles are within tolerance because tolerance is only forced upon a single tile design from a single batch. Technically, all 3 tiles are different so the tolerance doesn't apply between them.
Tragically, these tiles conform to British and European Standards.

Bummer ay!
to cut manufucturing cost few factorys produce 600x300 tiles its cheaper to produce 600x600 then cut them
down and rectify depending on who is working that machine and time of day .how good the cutting is but dont worry BS has aloud for this .

Reaction score
With the increasing popularity of large format wall and floor tile we wish to remind you that the tolerances allow for a 0.5% warpage in tile planarity. therefore the European norms allow on a 60x60 tile 3.5mm tolerance between the centre of the tile and its corners.
This causes no problem whatsoever when the tiles are fixed in the normal draughtboard pattern, however, it can create problems if the tile is fixed brick bond or half bond particularly in the case of rectified tiles when the joint width is reduced to 1.5mm. It is advisable in this instance to ask your client to check for acceptability BEFORE fixing or alternatively to consider bonding 1/3 - 2/3 which will have the effect of halving discrepancies in planarity.

Hope this helps. this is generally the rule we use when selling anyway.

A

Amir Patwa

With the increasing popularity of large format wall and floor tile we wish to remind you that the tolerances allow for a 0.5% warpage in tile planarity. therefore the European norms allow on a 60x60 tile 3.5mm tolerance between the centre of the tile and its corners.
This causes no problem whatsoever when the tiles are fixed in the normal draughtboard pattern, however, it can create problems if the tile is fixed brick bond or half bond particularly in the case of rectified tiles when the joint width is reduced to 1.5mm. It is advisable in this instance to ask your client to check for acceptability BEFORE fixing or alternatively to consider bonding 1/3 - 2/3 which will have the effect of halving discrepancies in planarity.

Hope this helps. this is generally the rule we use when selling anyway.
When you buy mechanically produced product there should be no tolerance! I run a service through " STONE GURU" and I travel to USA to inspect containers of natural and made made tiles of various sizes! If they are not uniform and calibrated
Then the whole shipment is rejected! Supplier carries the insurance

D

Dlt

Hi,

Just a quick question, doing a bathroom at the minute in a factory, put a 2.4m straight edge on the walls and they are not flat invert inwards. Does any one no the tolerance of the plasterboard and tiles? they are 600x300 porcelain square edged.

Thanks

D

Dlt

Plasterboard, I got a 8mm difference in the middle! Just trying to find out what they are allowed

S

SJPurdy

Put a 2m long straight edge anywhere on the plasterboard and if there is any gap greater than 3mm between the straight edge and the board then it is not flat enough to tile.
On the tiled wall do the same test using a 2m straight edge with 3mm feet each end. If the gap between this and the tiles exceeds 6mm or the straight edge touches the tiling then the tiling does not meet BS.
This is based on my memory of reading BS5385 a while ago (I no longer have an up to date copy).

The same tests apply for the flatness of a floor substrate and floor tiling.
On a large floor the surface should also be flat within +/-15mm of the datum or as per the architects specified tolerance. I don't know the equivalent wall building tolerance.

Reply to Tiling Standards (BS 5385) | British Wall and Floor Tiling Standards - IN FULL in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowpaul22
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks