Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Tiling Standards (BS 5385) | British Wall and Floor Tiling Standards - IN FULL in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
Reaction score
I used 100mm concrete screws , just screwed it like a joist floor, just prayed to the good Lord that no mains gas/water pipes were hanging about ;)

That was why I didn't do it that way. Both mains were under it somewhere. It wasn't worth the risk especially with so many eyes on me.
But what I dud certainly worked!

Reaction score
My understanding is you either have insulation of some kind (like polystirene). Or thin air and a few support joists to raise the height above another substate (which chances are would be better to tile onto, as from what i've had customers tell me in the past is that its concrete). Ultimately though, the tongue and groove chipboad or ply they use to cover over isn't screwed down. Just loose laid with no fixings.

If i've got that wrong, please can someone correct me as this may be turning into a greyer area that i realised. As you can imagine, i don't get as much experience at this as some of you who go out and actually see it.

From what I've seen the chipboard is screwed to the joists but the joists are 'floating' on what normally is a layer of foam under each of them as the screed or slab is rarely flat enough to fix them down. The floor will appear flat and sound although will deflect to a good degree.

Suspended floor is timber joists set on top of stud, dwarf or supporting walls where generally the deflection is negligible

The first example you could lift the chipboard and fix and plug the joists to the concrete but then without packing the finished floor would be crazy undulating everywhere

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
Reaction score
From what I've seen the chipboard is screwed to the joists but the joists are 'floating' on what normally is a layer of foam under each of them as the screed or slab is rarely flat enough to fix them down. The floor will appear flat and sound although will deflect to a good degree.

Suspended floor is timber joists set on top of stud, dwarf or supporting walls where generally the deflection is negligible

The first example you could lift the chipboard and fix and plug the joists to the concrete but then without packing the finished floor would be crazy undulating everywhere

It's rare that I've ever found any joists in a floating floor

Wishiwasatoptiler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
So I'm in an independent tile showroom picking their brains on all things tiling and we touch on the subject of tile manufactures, so the info I'm told by the shop assistant is that the industry standard for tile size tolerances is 5%, meaning that one tile in a pack can be that much bigger than the one next to it in the same pack, even went as for as saying this is across the size range, so in that case they suggest a 600x600 tile could have a 5% increase across a pack. That can't be right can it.

I

Ian

No mate that's not right, if it's +/- 5% that's 30mm either way on a 600mm tile. I stand to be corrected what the actual BS standard is but I believe it's +/- 3mm which is still unacceptable as that could mean a 6mm difference between tiles, which is pants!

M

mattle40

Think bri is right, I had a problem with imola of all people about it with a tile called Antares, I had huge variation in a batch of 60x40's but was within tolerance. Had the shop go through boxes and pick the best for me.
Very poor really

Wishiwasatoptiler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Even with limited knowledge I thought it was off as like you say that would be 30mm which would just be way off.
So +/- 3mm on any tile size??? Bri!

So with that in mind, when laying the tiles, it's just about splitting the differance across the last laid tile then, as I do unless you can get the shop to hand pick your tiles for you like matt...;-)

Last edited by a moderator:

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
What else can you do? Lol

If you ever spot it just try and sway your customers away from that range or even that make. And make sure you report it to the manufacturer.

While its BS. They will want to know its happening and might not if QA is appauling. They could do with knowing as it might be a tiny adjustment to something in factory to correct it.

gamma38

TF
Reaction score
I was fitting some 300 x 300 absolute black for a customer around a year ago. It came from one of the online suppliers. It was shocking, up to 8mm difference. I called them up and asked them the tolerances. Eventually got an answer....... 5mm.... which is still shocking. I then proceeded to tell them the stuff i had was out of tolerance. The next reply was even worse. Oh yes that's the cheap stuff and it is sometimes a bit out of tolerance. After being put through to her manager and some harsh words, they agreed to resend me the same quantity out of the premium range. Tolerances for the premium...... 2mm.

U

Unused Account 1

Cheaper porcelain tiles are normally the main culprit ,rectified hard enough as it is to fit perfect with bad sizes,

Without the different sizes lol

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Tiling Standards (BS 5385) | British Wall and Floor Tiling Standards - IN FULL in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowpaul22
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks