Search the forum,

Discuss Tiling round ceiling joists in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

W

willbones

Hi guys, just a quickie. I'm tiling my brothers bathroom this weekend - in his bathroom he has the ceiling joists exposed and wants me to tile round them right up to the ceiling. I was thinking it would look better if the tiles finished a couple of inches below the joists with trim on top and then the bit of the wall between the joists painted white - same colour as the celing between the joists. What do you guys think? Would it look better to go right up to the ceiling, i.e. cut out all the joists from the tiles or shall i stop short? It will be a lot of work to get round all the joists, plus they are 300 year old and none of them are square - so im also worried that if i cut tiles to go round it wont look right anyway. There are 6 beams spanning the ceiling, so 12 ends to cut round.

Your comments please............

E

enduro

could you use a moulding/boarder tile instead of plastic trim and leave it about a 6 to 8 inches from top and paint above to ceiling.

G

Greedo

i would just cut round and silicone

I agree. Wouldn't look right otherwise. How long you been tiling mate?
To be honest if you look for short cuts you will start to in other areas. Cutting round them will take more time but you would probably have to cut the tiles at the top anyway!!

Good luck with it.

W

willbones

OK - well i've decided to cut round the joists. The next problem is this - his bath is one that has a lip on it all the way round - basically a 2cm high thin plastic extension above the normal height of the bath. Apparently you are just supposed to tile over it, so that the plastic lip runs up the back of the tiles. When i tried it today it left a huge gap behind the tile and it looked ****. So i think the only think i can do is plaster board up to the lip, then tile the plaster board and let the tiles extend beyond the margin of the plaster board and let them rest on the bath.

C

Concept PHT

OK - well i've decided to cut round the joists. The next problem is this - his bath is one that has a lip on it all the way round - basically a 2cm high thin plastic extension above the normal height of the bath. Apparently you are just supposed to tile over it, so that the plastic lip runs up the back of the tiles. When i tried it today it left a huge gap behind the tile and it looked ****. So i think the only think i can do is plaster board up to the lip, then tile the plaster board and let the tiles extend beyond the margin of the plaster board and let them rest on the bath.
The plumber that put the bath in needs shot. The lip is called an 'upstand', and is designed to be chased into the wall so it sits flush. Then you tile as normal as you have been told.

The 2 options are to do what you say with the plaster board, or chase the bath into the wall.. Sorry mate :)

L

Leatherface

Personally I would advise the customer to get the plumber back and rectify his bad workmanship before I continued tiling. Unless you are confident in doing the job yourself - if so charge accordingly on top of your original quote.

Last edited by a moderator:
T

tjsmiler

Would go with Leatherface on this one mate. Plumber was a lazy nob or he was a bluffer.

Reply to Tiling round ceiling joists in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen