Search the forum,

Discuss tiling over uneven surfaces in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

C

caessar882

Hi all

I really need to tile my kitchen floor as all the tiles have cracked. We have a washing machine in the room and we're in a 1st floor flat. I've pulled 4 tiles up and can see that underneath is wooden planks about 10 inches wide. 4 questions:

1. Is it really necessary to pull all of these planks up and replace with one sheet of 12mm ply?

2. Looking into the choice of tiles I cannot decide which is best for this job ceramic or porcelain?

3. Best adhesive/grout? I'm guessing the most flexible one?

4. Do i need to PVA wood before laying adhesive?

thanks in advance for any help with this!

Richie

G

Gazzer

1 Depends on the condition and how the well boards are fixed. Any bounce ?
2 Porcelain is best and you will probably find most tiles these days are porcelain.
3 Single part flexible from a decent manufacturer
4 No do not use PVA, use a SBR tile primer depending on the substrate and adhesive used.

CJ

TF
Arms
Reaction score
As above.

You will need to overboard.

so the tiles that are down now are stuck directly to floorboards??

S

Stef

Advertise for a tiler on this site & save yourself money & hassle in the future.
Your floor has failed because it's been tiled directly onto floor boards.
If you rip up those floor boards & replace with 12mm ply it's going to fail again!!!

R

Rossymcg

Hello amigo ^^^^^^ that is a sound bit of advice, the questions you're asking sound to me like you'll have the same problem again if you tackle this job yourself, someone form here will do it for you for a fair price and it will be spot on drama free

C

Caesar882

1 Depends on the condition and how the well boards are fixed. Any bounce ?
2 Porcelain is best and you will probably find most tiles these days are porcelain.
3 Single part flexible from a decent manufacturer
4 No do not use PVA, use a SBR tile primer depending on the substrate and adhesive used.

Hi, thanks for this information. I will need to pull up the remaining tiles to see the condition of the floorboards, I will most likely need to screw them down again.. I have just been informed that no more ply would be best here and it's only 6mm thick so wont create such a big lip on the entrance to the room! good idea??

S

Stef

Rip the lot up, secure those floor boards & make sure there is no deflection (bounce) & overboard with a cement backer board.
I use Hardie 250, 6mm, to overboard wooden floors.

C

Caesar882

Thanks Stef, i was thinking of using no more ply sheets.. is there much difference between no more ply and hardie 250? also i've purchased a tilers kit from ebay as i have lots of tiling to do around the house, i now have lots of trowels, am i right in thinking i should use a 10-12mm notched trowel for floors??

Reply to tiling over uneven surfaces in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen