Search the forum,

Discuss Tiling over a tongue and groove wooden floor boards laid on concrete in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

F

figgy2000

Hi,

This is my first post so Hi to everybody!
My question being I want to tile using Travertine tiles on to 20mm thick tongue and groove floorboards which are glued using a bitumen type substance and also nailed at intervals directly into a concrete floor - do I need to use a tile backer board 6mm or 12mm or can I lay the tiles directly onto the tongue and groove using a suitable flexible adhesive??
I can feel no deflection/movement whislt walking on the floor as I can when walking on a wooden floor fixed to floor joists it feels extremely solid

Thanks

D

DHTiling

Hi and welcome...

That is a new scenario on me.... doesn't sound good with it being nailed... have the boards been laid for decorative reasons.. ?

I would be tempted to remove and go back to a solid substrate but would be good to know the reason for that timber/bitumen being laid.

T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

Hi figgy and welcome, that is a new one on me. I would be tempted to get back to solid concrete and use backer board and/or slc just my take on it.:thumbsup:

S

Stewart

I've seen decorative floorboards fixed to concrete with bitumen before, but never nailed too. We removed the boards as the bitumen was only laid in strips every 600mm. We replaced with Marmox then tiled.

Created on iPhone.....

H

hillhead

If it's so solid maybe ditra placed over it then tiled might work too.
Hard to know without seeing it though.

F

figgy2000

Thanks guys for the replies,
The entire bungalow flooring is the same its all tongue and groove fixed with bitumen & nailed using hand cut nails (according to the builder I had it was common practice in the 1930's)

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Ive seen bitumen used to stick bords as well but not nails. Perhaps it was nailed to try and stop it curling cos the concrete was wet. The nails will probably prove tough to get out as they will haverusted into the concrete. I agree though that hey should be removed and tiles directly to concrete

T

Topshop

Yes, the wood boards are going to be effected by moisture from the air and the concrete and will expand, contract, and curl - not a good idea for a surface with tile adhered to it.

Reply to Tiling over a tongue and groove wooden floor boards laid on concrete in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
A little help guys. I've been asked to price 71sqm of limestone flooring. My issue is this...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen