Search the forum,

Discuss Tiling on top of tiles and on the ceiling in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

marktiling

been to see a beautiful home today to quote for wall and floor tiles in bathroom.
Previous tiler put tiles up curved wall onto the ceiling. Customer wants me to tile on top of existing tiles including the ceiling !
Not a job I will touch as the whole tile on tile thing is an issue for me plus the bath is directly under the ceiling part !
Large format tiles.
:yikes:
Surely no-one will take this job on ?
Am i right to turn it down ?

I

Ian

Tile on tile is a big no no, there's been a thread recently that goes into the cons of this, as for the ceiling, in theory it's no different to doing the underside of a window reveal but checking the substrate and it's weight capacity is paramount. I've done the ceiling of a shower cubicle before but the ceiling was brand new and not skimmed etc also was less than 1m2

M

marktiling

I guess they will find someone to do it but it really looks so odd and they would be better off stripping all the tiles off, re-plastering properly and then tiling to a sensible height and painting the curved ceiling areas (x 4). They had all sorts of funny ideas and someone had put concrete on the wooden floor for some reason I couldn't fathom. Also wanted ali trim floor to top of ceiling with a curved arc (never seen such a trim).
Best left to someone else.

Reply to Tiling on top of tiles and on the ceiling in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen