Search the forum,

Discuss Tiling on Plaster - Close to Weight Limit in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

C

crawf94

Hi, new member after a bit of advice from all you experts.

I am tiling my bathroom which has three plasterboard walls (unskimmed) and one block wall (plastered). The tiles I have weigh 16kg/m[SUP]2[/SUP], so with the weight of the adhesive and grout this puts me right on the 20kg/m[SUP]2[/SUP] limit. Would tiling the plaster wall be a big risk or is there already some safety margin built into the 20kg weight limit? I was thinking of hacking off the plaster and dotting and dabbing plasterboard onto this one wall. Am I correct in thinking that dot and dab plasterboard will have a weight limit of 32kg/m[SUP]2[/SUP] like the other bare plasterboard or is it a reduced limit because of the dot and dab fixing?

Are there any alternatives, bearing in mind that I don't want to bring the wall out any further than it is as the bath is already a tight fit and the soil pipe is right up against the wall currently?

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Plasterboard does have a stronger weight limit you're right. But as long as you're on the 20kg and not much over, you'll be sound - as said above.

Just try not to pack out much. If needs be, stick a big straight edge over the wall and if any bits of the wall stick out (corners etc) chip them back a bit - rather than packing out the middle of the wall to meet. Sort of thing. You'll use a bit less adhesive there then and wont go over the limit.

C

crawf94

Thanks guys, you've put my mind at rest. I'll go with the plaster.

What's the best way to fill any holes. Should I use quick setting render or quick setting adhesive?

C

crawf94

How big are the holes.....
Sorry for the delay in responding.

Most are very small just bits of plaster that came away when the old tiles were taken off. 1cm deep maximum. However, there is an old shower valve and plumbing to remove also which will obviously leave quite deep holes.

Reply to Tiling on Plaster - Close to Weight Limit in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

10 Tiling Tips for Fixing Tiles to Bathroom Walls = From UKTilingForum.co.uk There are a few...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen