Search the forum,

Discuss Tiling on existing ceramic floor tile adhesive in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

U

Unregistered

Have just lifted ceramic floor tiles from the bathroom prior to replacement with new tiles.
The tiles have come off but most of the adhesive is still left attached to the floor. The adhesive seems very firmly attached and removing it is proving very difficult - it is impossible to do it (using hammer and chisel) without damging the underlying cement screed.
Is it possible / sensible to fix new tiles on top of the adhesive residue? If so the are there any special recommendations for how to do the job (e.g. type of adhesive, priming needed, levelling etc). (I know that this will raise the floor level slightly, but this is not a problem).
If not, then any tips on good easier ways of getting rid of the adhesive (don't know what kind it is, but there is quite a thick bed of it).
Many thanks

G

Gazzer

You would be wise to remove as much adhesive as possible and then prime and lay SLC over the top.
Take your time to register on the forum and get as much info as you require, we are all here to help.

R

Richardk

Its hard work with a hammer and chisel. Much easier and quicker with an SDS hammer drill with rotary stop and an SDS chisel.

B

brian c

I had to do this last week 12m2 took me 2 hours with a hammer and bolster and my arms didnt feel like they were mine...i felt like POPEYE.Do exactly as SIRAMIC says.:thumbsup:The hard graft is worth it in the end trust me.:thumbsup:

J

jstiling

toolstation /screwfix sale a large floortile remover (scraper on a pole) removes tiles and adhesive
prime is a must/sl if uneven

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I not a tiling expert - just throwing this into the mix cos I don't know the answer. If the adhesive is so well stuck to the screed that it is not moving much with a hammer and chisel and height is not an issue would it not be fesaible to simply use SLC then Ditra......

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Having said that if the adhesive does need to some up then - I hestitae to say it cos I know the flack I will probably get - but you could always hire a needle scabbler and scabble the surface of the screed........:yikes:

D

Daz

As all the other responses, get as much up as you can then apply floor smoothing compound (slc).

The scraper on a long pole is not worth doshing out on, save your cash and buy the SDS drill option. It sounds as though you need mechanical assistance :thumbsup:.

Reply to Tiling on existing ceramic floor tile adhesive in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

There are similar tiling threads here

Looking for some technical advice on these tiles please. Our installers fitted this CaPietra...
Replies
Views
Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views
Hello all, Hoping that once again I can get some good advice on here, you were invaluable when...
Replies
Views
Hi All, I am wondering if someone would be able to help me out/explain something. We had a...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen