Search the forum,

Discuss Tiling on caber flooring on a new build in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

B

brickyman

Hi all. I am tiling a few floors for a friend on a new build. Is it ok to tile straight over caber flooring? Its well fixed down and i was thinking a thick coat of PVA and flexible adhesive and grout should do the trick. Any thoughts?

thanks

S

stoner

Hi, never heard of the term caberfloor but it looks like chipboard to me. Personally i would over board with 15mm wbp or tile backer boards. Big no no to pva also, always use acrylic primer for tiling!! Some have tiled on chipboard with no problems but it's not worth the risk.

G

grumpygrouter

DEF No to pva...it has no place in tiling. Much better to use a proper acrylic primer and definately overboard with a cement based backer board....as long as you have no deflection!

B

brickyman

there is not much deflection so was gona overboard with 9mm ply screwed every 150mm

I

Ian

9mm ply is too thin and will warp if it gets wet. Use 6mm hardie backer, much more suitable for the job.

Reply to Tiling on caber flooring on a new build in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
10 Tiling Tips for Fixing Tiles to Bathroom Walls = From UKTilingForum.co.uk There are a few...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen