Search the forum,

Discuss Tiling large area - Spacers or no spacers? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

R

rob

Hi guys, just following on from the thread about battons or not to batton - how many use spacers when tiling large floor area (say upwards of 20 m2)? I find it better to ping a chalk line and work to that as the varyation in tile size puts you out if using spacers!

Would be interested to learn what others do in this situation to keep straight?

S

sWe

I tend to ping a chalk line and go by it for the most part, but occasionally I use rope as well.

lucius

TF
Reaction score
I use 4 metre long alluminium straight edge measured from the last row of tiles normaly 2 courses weighted down with a couple of boxs of tiles everything else is done with the tape and the eye checked every now and then with laser line, tried rope but found it to expensive.
Lucius.

S

sWe

How do you use the rope, and how do you keep the tenssion on it?

Think of rope as a 20m long spacer. You need the kind that is not particularly stretchable and uniform in thickness.

Soak it in water and then squeese the water out. That makes it easy to clean.

The principle is similar on floors as on the picture. You don't have to use battens on floors though, for obvious reasons. Takes a bit getting used to, but it's damn fast once you get the hang of it.

7.jpg

JCT

TF
Reaction score
Done a few really big jobs 400m2. I ping 2 lines down the middle 3 tiles apart and tile right down between lines. Use a straight edge to make sure tiles are square off the lines (ie they are at right angles to the chalk lines). Once I've done that its just a matter of pinging another line to the side of the set tiles and tiling that section. Repeat this as I finish each section. I prefer to use spacers also

Reply to Tiling large area - Spacers or no spacers? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen