Search the forum,

Discuss Tiling internal manhole cover-size of tiles in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

J

Jackswan

First post here so go easy and I've done a search and not really found an answer.

Recently refurbished a room which will become the new kitchen of my house. New screed laid over a new damp proof membrane. What I do have is a manhole in the room, a new internal double sealed manhole assembly has been fitted into the floor and filled to within a thickness of a tile ready for tiling. The room is L-shaped and approx. 18m2. The manhole is 700mm x 550mm (externally with roughly 8mm all around).

My wife has been looking at porcelain floor tiles for the room, the couple that she likes are 600mm x 600mm and a cream colour.

If I went with this size what would be the best way to fit around and inside the manhole cover or would a different size of tile be better?
The cover is towards the corner of the room and is 460mm from one wall and 1180mm from the adjacent wall.

cheers

W

White Room

Just bring the manhole to the setting out of the rest of the room, lots of cutting though............

Don't use different tiles around the manhole otherwise it will stick out like a sore thumb

J

Jackswan

Just bring the manhole to the setting out of the rest of the room, lots of cutting though............

Just wondering what you mean? Should I lay out the tiles from one end of the room and where it comes across the manhole cut them as where they end up?

Also another question, the first tiles my wife saw were porcelain tiles from B&Q, I think that the name was "Windsor" and being sold for a tenner a m2. Also saw some at a tile stockists for £24 m2 and some others at Topps for £21 m2. i know absolutely nothing about these tiles, so what should I look for? After looking through these forums the general opinion seems to be that B&Q is rubbish

C

cuttintiles

heres one i did earlier, it will give you the idea!

92834840.jpg

92834840.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
J

Jackswan

Excellent a picture shows a great deal.

Just like to know an opinion on the tiles and what to look out for.

thanks

C

CJ CERAMICS

the B Q tiles are not well liked on this forum for a number of reasons
1. if you think of the price compared to the others, less than 1/2 the price....there has to be a reason?
2. they tend not to be truly square this causes problems when laying with different joints.
3. they have a habit of also being bowed across the length of the tile.
4. they can sometimes have a transition wax on them which can be hard to remove. if you are a diyer.
these points are only my opinion and can in no way be construde as criticism of Bodge it and Quit...........sorry B & Q

i would Depending on area see if you also have a Tile Giant and a CTD near to you and visit them.
chris

S

Stewart

All good points above. :thumbsup: I always advise my customers to get the best quality tile there budget will allow. You have to remember that floor tiles a subject to a lot of punishment and have a large impact visually. They are also going to be there (if fitted properly) for a very long time. You do get what you pay for when it comes to tiles and I wouldn't be keen on fitting a £10.00 per metre tile.

A

Andre Isse

Hi, Cuttintiles,

Where did u buy this manhole cover ? I need to get one of this by monday,,, pretty short time window, huh ? If u can , send me an email on [email protected].

Cheers.

L

l sharp

Hi I am after the type of manhole cover to tile into but all the ones I can see online have handles. Where is the one in your picture from as it seems perfect for what i need?

Reply to Tiling internal manhole cover-size of tiles in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
  • Poll
Hi, I have a small en-suite 1200 x 2400, with a 1200 x 900mm linear drain tray which will have...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen