Search the forum,

Discuss Tiling Dilemma With Damp Wall Substrate in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

U

Unused Account 1

P4ulo ,good advice ,ive done this a couple of times over the years ,just hired a de humidifier ,it solved the. Problem

M

mika_98

I like the idea of using No More Ply boards. A decent board for a reasonable price.
Assuming if I go with the dot/dab then screw in process, the idea would be to let the adhesive set and then screw in?

Not sure how much damp remains to be honest, its down to bare brick. Could always get someone in to check with the damp meter again. As for the dehumidifier, that's something I was considering so thanks for the reminder.

U

Unused Account 1

If its down to brick. Heat will dry the bricks out ,then youll see if its coming in from the outside.

M

mika_98

Sorry if this sounds silly but I assume this means pre-drilling holes for the plugs and screws. Is that correct?

Been looking at No More Ply boards. The process on their site advises to use a 'Mega Strength Adhesive' on the joins. Is that an absolute requirement?

U

Unused Account 1

Keep away from all that ,just go in when ready to tile ,dont tke chances ,only as good as last job

P

p4ulo

Surely p4ulo u'd knock it out of plumb that way, u make sure it's bedded well, plumb and level it then mechanically fixed once dry?
Unless I'm doing it wrong?

I personally like to screw it down whilst its going off, ok - maybe doing it til it squidges is a bit much, but using my level at the same time I ensure its still flat once fitted.

P

p4ulo

Sorry if this sounds silly but I assume this means pre-drilling holes for the plugs and screws. Is that correct?

Been looking at No More Ply boards. The process on their site advises to use a 'Mega Strength Adhesive' on the joins. Is that an absolute requirement?

Yeah, you will need to pre-drill and rawl-plug before fitting the board.
Dunno about No More Ply boards, I'm a HardieBacker man meself, cos I get it cheap at Topps.

Doggit

TF
Reaction score
Damp bricks take about a month per inch to dry out. If you're down to bare brick, then the normal way would be sand and cement with a waterproof render in it, but you should use a washed sand. The drawback is it'sll take a few weeks to dry. If you want to get on with the work quickly, then you could go for the Dryzone system. Not cheap, but you can get the plasterboard up in a day. Last method to think about, is to blackjack the wall to stop the damp coming though, batten the walls using tanalised timber, and stainless steel screws, then plasterboard - but make sure the blackjack goes on the ground as far out as the plasterboard will go.

Reply to Tiling Dilemma With Damp Wall Substrate in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello, I'm just a home owner who doesn't have much experience with tiling but I'm looking for...
Replies
Views
Hello there, Relatively recently we had a new en-suite fitted (complete rip out of the old...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm new to the forum and fairly new to tiling, my only previous "proper" job was my recent...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen