Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Tiling around window Suggestions please in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

N

Norbert

Hi All,
I am tiling the last wall in the bathroom and am a bit stuck as how to go around the window.:mad2:
Confirmed DIYer and only 2nd time tiling so don't really want to mess it up as the rest has come out a lot better that i expected.
I have some pics on an album i have just set up so opinions most welcome good, bad or otherwise and any tips regarding the edging around the opening.
Btw didn't realise how bloody expensive the adhesives and grout was almost as much as the blooming tiles:whatchutalkingabout.

E

EwanR

Norbert

Pics look good and for a second job looks impressive. You clearly prepared and set out your lines with thought.

Slightly apprehensive about the pic with the bath. Looks like the bath feet are on top of the tiles? :whatchutalkingabout That could cause them to crack as weight of bath + water + you will be concentrated on a small area.

I put a 1 1/2in x 2in (nominal) plank under the feet to spread the load and wouldn't have the tiles under feet.

To answer your query it would be good to see the window.

What I would do is measure and cut the required lengths of tile edging strip to go inside the window return.

Tile the walls up to the edge of the window return. Offer up the strip against the inside surface and measure tile for the corner to window. Remember to leave 2-3 mm and measure bottom and top in case window and corner are off true. Cut tiles to match gaps on the walls and fix.

Other option is to mitre the tile edges but this is a bit more time consuming and difficult to get right. (unless youre a pro!):grin:

Hope this helps.

N

Norbert

Will put a pic of the window on tonight.
The support for the bath that you can see is about 1" above the tiles with a large bolt running through it with a foot pad on the bottom with the tile cut to go round the bolt.
dodgy camera angle i reckon.

Yes i spent quite a few hours drawing all over the walls and floor with marker pens and sprit levels:yes:

D

Deleted member 1779

Howsat?

window.jpg

Any use? Basically tiled all round with no trim.

D

Deleted member 1779

This is another option for tiles with natural tones (I see yours are natural colours) to add a beige trim around the window as an alternative to exposing the tile edges.

Adding trim is useful when the tiles are NOT porcelain but ceramic. If you have to dress non-porcelain tile edges to hide them - then use plastic trim.

window2.jpg

In the shot above its not totally clear trim has been used because of the colour match, so here it is again in close up.

window3.jpg

To complete the look the grout colour is CREAM (not white) and the silicone bead is "off-white" so that everything shares the same tonal balance. Nothing is allowed to become a contrast. Only the window frame is white.

N

Norbert

I think i will have to use the beaded option. I am using an ivory colour grout. Can you get an ivory coloured silicone?

Reply to Tiling around window Suggestions please in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowpaul22
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks