Search the forum,

Discuss Tiling A Shower's Ceiling in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

G

geraldine

Hello everyone,
I have to tile a walk-in shower cubicle and the adjoining wash room. The clients would like to tile the ceiling in the shower cubicle but have been advised against it as it is "not deemed safe". I have been tiling just over one year and haven't the experience to give them my opinion. I would appreciate your thought and knowledge on the matter. I really don't want to be responsible for someone taking a tile on the head!!!
Many thanks
Geraldine

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Geraldine,

Welcome back to the forum. :)

Sure you can tile that if you want to. You tile the underside of windows and whatnot. So it can be done.

What tile type is it? And what's the substrate? (What will you be tiling to?)

AMC

TF
Reaction score
H
Hello everyone,
I have to tile a walk-in shower cubicle and the adjoining wash room. The clients would like to tile the ceiling in the shower cubicle but have been advised against it as it is "not deemed safe". I have been tiling just over one year and haven't the experience to give them my opinion. I would appreciate your thought and knowledge on the matter. I really don't want to be responsible for someone taking a tile on the head!!!
Many thanks
Geraldine
hi Geraldine , I've always suggested to the customer about doin it in mosaic , jus incase the tile fell off , better it's a mosaic rather than a 60 x 30 , also maybe a disclaimer form if they insist and if you're not too confident

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
You should find that it's fine. If it's plaster, perhaps screw backerboard to the joists / beams, use noggins to make it stronger, then tile that using the right adhesive, 100% coverage only, don't let the adhesive skin over or start to go off, and prop them up while they set.

It's not different than tiling a large window reveal.

Rosco100

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
Many thanks
Geraldine

Hi I always overboard with a tilebacker board and put a slight slope on it so that when the steam hits the cold tiles the water droplets run off rather than fall back down on you like cold icicles (we do this in steam rooms also)

O

Old Mod

image.jpg

This was a low ceiling in a shower so the client wanted it tiled.

G

geraldine

Thank you all for your replies. Thanks also for pointing out that it is like tiling an arch or window reveal. I have told the clients that if they wanted to go ahead with it they would have to fix a backer board to have a firm base. I contacted BAL about it and they do not recommend doing ceilings... Contacted my tutor and again he advised me not to do it!!!
Dan, as far as I know they are using 25X33cm wall tiles. I was going to use power adhesive rather than readymix (tub) so that I could make it thicker.... Anything else I should be concerned about?

Reply to Tiling A Shower's Ceiling in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

• Poll
Hi, I have a small en-suite 1200 x 2400, with a 1200 x 900mm linear drain tray which will have...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen