Search the forum,

Discuss tiling a sealed gypsum screed??? Advice needed in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

davy_G

Hi all,
I was looking at a friends not so new, new build this evening.

He wants a decent amount of tiling done. The main job is on a sealed gypsum screed.
The screed was put in and polished about a year ago. It is over a wet UFH system.

They where advised to seal the screed with an water based arcylic sealer, this was done.

It looks very much like a garage floor paint, with not much info on the used tin.

I intended to get the UFH turned down to +/-10C. Prime with SBR (this is the bit i have the problem with!) and tile with flexi addy & grout.

The problem i have is the floor is highly polished and the sealer is quite glossy. and the worrying bit. Another chap, whos work they are not happy with, did the bathroom and the floor tiles have started to debond. The tiler supplied the adhesive and grout so i have no idea as to its suitability.
I hava asked my mate to lift some of the tiles as he is going to attempt a remair job and see where it has debonded, if its clean from the sealer and all the adhesive is on the tile that will worry me, if it pants adhesive then im happy enough to proceed.

I have an option to acid etch the sealer/paint, then prime. Whats your toughts? There is no point me putting down tiles for them to potentially lift, i dont want a call in 6 months time.

G

Gazzer

Ajax is the man for this . I would think that sanding the floor would be a start. Why not use a Gypsum adhesive ?

I

Ian

I mean sanded to remove any laitence? Either way I think you need to do it again to get rid of the primer/sealer as Jay has suggested and from experience, use a gypsum based adhesive as Neale has suggested. Ajax has mentioned before that he is yet to see a failure where gypsum based adhesive has been used but, has seen a few where cement based has.

D

davy_G

This is my first gypsum screed ive seen, so bear with me.

Ive only used or seen cement adhesive, who manufactures a gypsum one and have you any idea of cost for one suitable for UFH?

H

hillhead

Ask your bro Davy if his company does a gypsum adhesive, i personally have never used one myself.
Two weeks ago i was on a sweet marble job and the company had another tiler starting a house close to where i was, the tiler sanded the floors and scratched them for two days. He then primed and left for a week still unsure if he was going to tile it,lol.

I

Ian

The one I've used is Creative Impressions with their own primer, a few of the guys on here have used the N&C gear and that goes on with no primer (screed still needs to be sanded and hoovered) from memory the CI is £32 for a 25k bag, don't know about the N&C but i think it's much cheaper.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to tiling a sealed gypsum screed??? Advice needed in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen