Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Tiler messed up - what are my options? in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

T

Time's Ran Out

By there are some tilers on here that won't give the poor chap an inch!
Once the full picture is uncovered we yet again see what situation the unfortunate finishing trades have to deal with.
The OP realised his title mistake, accepted that we will defend a certain standard of tiling, and he has explained his way forward. We all know builders who are similar to his and at times you have to have a semblance of pity for clients who get the rough end of the job done.
I for one thank him for his interesting post, have realised why I kept reading, and hope he receives a satisfactory job on completion.

GAZ5518

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
The last time I tiled with anything like a 7 mm joint was either "Terracotta",or slate... .. Or I rolled and smoked it..;)
They appear to be porcelain .. 3-4 mm joint required ..
And i think the Tiler had achieved an acceptable finish according to the pictures...The bond is the norm... ( what is normal these days )
I'm surecwhenball grouted it will look good..
With regards money off ... Be fair to the finisher ... If you like and accept it... Pay him/her the agreed amount.. Because if there should be a problem in the future , I'm sure you will have more chance of redress....IMPO..:eek:

T

Tilerdurden

@wrighty actually they did ask, and I've attached my response - I guess I wasn't particularly definitive about my request, but again this was only going off the advice from the previous installer (who is a tiler by trade) so I could only reiterate his suggestion

@timeless john fair enough, but bear in mind I have no experience in this field. I have one person (whose is a tiler first and foremost by trade) give me advice on how a job should be done (as I actually asked for it to be laid offset by half when initially consulted) and then this is advice is not followed through, it leaves me in a difficult position as I am unsure of the implications of this. They've already had to reinstall the underfloor heating once, would removing the tiles require that to be redone again? Would the bowing make the floor surface uneven to the point of being a trip hazard? Could it become worse over time? I do like the way it looks, but am concerned about any wider implications and only feel that, as a customer, my request was ignored and the work was done against the advice of other professionals, so is substandard in the eyes of the profession and deserves compensation.

View attachment 91867

Other professionals? It was their opinion to lay them in 1/3 bond. If the tiler that laid them decided they looked better aesthetically then he has gone with what he knows. No right or wrong way just a recommendation. If you had communicated directly with him and made the request then I'm sure he would have carried out the job to your specification. I can hardly see a reason to withhold payment as he has done a reasonable job there. With regards to will it get worse....simply?.. no, they are set in with adhesive and are solid.

Reply to Tiler messed up - what are my options? in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mcgtech
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks