Search the forum,

Discuss tileing to meet the ceiling in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

G

gaz100uk

Have what might be simple newbie question.
I have only done tiling the once before, my bathroom floor to ceiling. I was proud with the finished results. However so was the mother-in-law. So much so she has asked me to do their bathroom.
The question i have is what to do were the tiles meet the ceiling. In their bathroom the ceiling doesn’t meet the walls at a nice 90 deg angle. It actually curves round and when you look at the wall, it probably varies to as much as an inch or so i.e a wavy line. Nothing can be done with the ceiling, so would you guys cut the tiles to suit the changes in the ceiling or would you cut them to give you a finished straight line of tiles and just paint the ceiling in to suit?

Want to do the best job i can so any advise, apart from don’t do it, would be gratefully received.

Thanks in advance

Ken Bruty

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Have what might be simple newbie question.
I have only done tiling the once before, my bathroom floor to ceiling. I was proud with the finished results. However so was the mother-in-law. So much so she has asked me to do their bathroom.
The question i have is what to do were the tiles meet the ceiling. In their bathroom the ceiling doesn’t meet the walls at a nice 90 deg angle. It actually curves round and when you look at the wall, it probably varies to as much as an inch or so i.e a wavy line. Nothing can be done with the ceiling, so would you guys cut the tiles to suit the changes in the ceiling or would you cut them to give you a finished straight line of tiles and just paint the ceiling in to suit?

Want to do the best job i can so any advise, apart from don’t do it, would be gratefully received.

Hi Gaz,

I would measure the distance on either side of the tile and cut it differently accordingly, to get an even grout line. If it's only up to a few mm difference in height from one side, depending on the colour of the tiles and the ceiling, a straight line from the lowest point would look ok, and probably hard to notice once grouted. When you say curved, I'm assuming that you mean the plaster is curved outwards to give a blunt corner where the ceiling/wall butts together? If so, you will need to cut it squarer, so that the tiles don't sit out at an angle at the top, and it will mean that you have to put more adhesive on the tiles to make them bond properly if they only contact the wall at the very top and bottom, if you don't remove the excess plaster. Hope that helps.

Regards

Ken

P

Peter

Tidiest job is to follow the ceiling, leaving 2-3mm to the top the whole way along.

G

gaz100uk

Cheers for that. I was thinking of basicly following the ceiling. The curve (side on) up to the ceiling is around 50mm radius. So in aware it will look a bit like coving i guess..

S

Sean fsy

make sure you remove/grind away/cut the back side of the tile to make the gap between the tile and ceiling the same all along.

DSCN8954.jpg

DSCN8970.jpg

DSCN8983.jpg

DSCN8976.jpg

Reply to tileing to meet the ceiling in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen