Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Tiled bath panel in the Australia area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

X

Xasper

Hello all, i have just had a new bathroom installed. The tiler has tiled the side and the foot of the bath however, the frame or the tiles at the foot of the bath are not flush with the bath overhang trim. They is about 1/4 inch lip between the tiles and the over hang if the bath and at the side the tiles are flush at one end and again are 1/4 inch shy of being flush. The tiler insists this to be normal for a bath to not be straight and to have this problem. I insisted it was the frame that must be too small but he stuck to his guns. Who is right here?
I hope ive explained myself ok for you guys to understand my predicament. Thank you

T

Time's Ran Out

Depends who built the frame for the tiled panel!
The tiler should have made you aware ( if you were available) of the uneven overhang but apart from this his job is to tile it. He could have left it and you would have to pay him extra to come back, or he took the initiative and tiled it. At the end of the day it should be straight, but with some sides the edge is uneven and perfection is not obtainable.

P

Perry

Is this what you mean ? where the the gaps greater in the middle. this is because baths are not straight its the way they are made.
attachment.php

X

Xasper

Thank you very much for your help guys. I've contacted the store where I purchased the bath and sent them pictures. They came to the conclusion I have that it's a fault and the over should be straight. I am also in the agreement that the tiler or the bathroom fitter should have brought this up prior to fitting to which they didn't. However, the problem which faces me now is that the bath company have offered to send me another bath out, free of charge and I'm to dispose of the old bath myself. But do I put up, shut up and live with the old bath or tell the bathroom fitter to rip everything out at his cost and replace it with the new one? Or just sell the new one lol

Chalker

TF
Arms
Reaction score
The new bath will probably not be straight either. ( from the same mould) generally best to lip the behind the bath overhang, the fitter could have foreseen this.

T

Time's Ran Out

You bought the original product it's your problem!
Its a bit much if you try to proportion blame for poor quality materials that you've asked a tradesman to install.
If your having thoughts about selling the free bath and keeping the installed one then in my humble opinion - you deserve what you get.
I remember a holiday programme where the customer took photos of building sites, ants etc ready to complain and he commented - he hasn't had a good holiday if he didnt get his money back!
Enjoy your bath - whichever.

Reaction score
Baths/basins/ pans for some reason are hardly ever straight, the art in tiling is to make them appear better than they are. Funny though shower trays seem to be pretty good (excluding the cheap ones). Different manufacturing process/material I know. Chinaware such as pans and basins are a real nightmare, nothing worse than a rocking pan. (the silicon normally sorts it out though).

Q

Qwerty

I'm struggling to see how the fitter or tiler are liable here to be honest. Any pics?

P

Perfect Tiling

I'm a bit late getting into this one. In the past if a bath is bowed in or out and I'm tiling the panel I put a straight edge (usually chrome effect) trim between the top of the top tile and the bottom of the bath lip. It hides the edge of the tile and shows the tiles are straight. Then I silicon the joint between bath and trim with white silicon...you can make the bead bigger where the bath lip goes inward and give the appearance of the bath lip being straight. I hope this makes more sense than it sounds...hard without pics

S

Stef

I'm a bit late getting into this one. In the past if a bath is bowed in or out and I'm tiling the panel I put a straight edge (usually chrome effect) trim between the top of the top tile and the bottom of the bath lip. It hides the edge of the tile and shows the tiles are straight. Then I silicon the joint between bath and trim with white silicon...you can make the bead bigger where the bath lip goes inward and give the appearance of the bath lip being straight. I hope this makes more sense than it sounds...hard without pics

I've done it this way before & it works.
I prefer to see the frame sitting further back so you have more to play with when it comes to the lip of the bath.

Diggy

TF
Reaction score
These days I get the builder to build the frame 40mm-50mm out from bath and low enough i can tile under lip. Negates the op issue , looks nicer imho and also makes the whole thing more sturdy . Also as a thicker board can be used you dont get any major warpage in any inspection panels.
Imho of course.
Diggy

Reply to Tiled bath panel in the Australia area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowpaul22
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks