Search the forum,

Discuss Tile weight in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

marsaday1971

6mm Ceramic......... ..14.26 kg/m2 .....................................18.46 kg/m2
8mm Ceramic ...........17.62 kg/m2 .....................................21.82 kg/m2
10mm Ceramic ..........20.97 kg/m2 ....................................25.17 kg/m2
12mm Ceramic ..........24.32 kg/m2 ....................................28.52 kg/m2
10mm Porcelain .........23.88 kg/m2 ....................................28.09 kg/m2
12mm Porcelain .........27.82 kg/m2 ....................................32.00 kg/m2
10mm Natural stone ...31.10 kg/m2 ....................................35.30 kg/m2
12 mm Natural stone ..36.48 kg/m2 ....................................40.68 kg/m2
20mm Natural stone ...58.00 kg/m2 ....................................62.20 kg/m2

I have just seen this table and i am disappointed i will not be able to use stone tiles in our new bathroom.

The walls are all plasterboarded (cement board in shower area), so i think we are limited to only 20kg/m of weight. Is this correct ? This means i can only really use an 8-10mm ceramic.

D

Deleted member 1779

That 20KG seems low on plasterboard. I am sure its more.
Put it this way LOTS of people tile their bathrooms with 12mm porcelain tiles. Not heard of anyone having a tile drop on their head yet!

contemporary_bathroom.jpg

I THINK YOU WILL BE RECIEVING SOME ENCOURAGING NEWS ON THIS FORUM SOON!!

M

marsaday1971

Ok, but you have all given slightly different answers (28 or 32). someone on another forum has said 20kg because i have plastered the PB. Clean PB can take more weight because it doesnt have a skim on it.

Still confused. I did think 20kg was a bit low as well.

I was hoping to use 10mm limestone and that will be 31kg. So under one persons weight limit and over the other.

any more views ?

D

DHTiling

You did not say it was skimmed.?

So it is 20kg if it is skimmed and 32kg if not.. these weights include adhesive/grout

D

doug boardley

ahh right, skimmed plasterboard will only take a maximum of 20kgm2, unskimmed will take 32kgm2 including adhesive and grout, which weighs in at about 4kgm2

M

marsaday1971

i only skimmed it last week and i could have saved a load of time. I intend to tile the whole wall as it is a slope in the loft. gutted.

Reply to Tile weight in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen