Search the forum,

Discuss Tile weight query in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

A

Ajay

Hi all
Daryl aka captain slow, is helping me with my wetroom but I have just come accross a problem and seeing as he is sunning it up in Egypt I don't want to pester him.

I just went to order the tiles which are 30 x 30 9mm floor/wall porcelain tiles and found out they're out of stock. They do have a 60 x 30 in stock but I was worried about the weight on the wall. When I mentioned this to them they said that they would be no different than the 30 x 30 version per sq metre, so now I'm confused. Is this the case.

One wall is plasterboard stud wall not skimmed, the other 3 are solid block walls plastered and painted.

I'm now not sure what to do as I don't want to choose new tiles as these ones are perfect.

Many thanks in advance for any help.
Andy

Alan.P

TF
Reaction score
Hi Andy, same weight per meter square, if they are the same thickness, actually a little less weight as you'll be one grout joint less, you are using a bagged adhesive, aren't you ?

A

Ajay

Hi Alan

Thanks for reply

Regarding the adhesive i'm guessing captain slow would use the appropriate one, as i'm not actually doing the tiling.

I'm just starting to get paranoid as i'v heard they can pull the plaster off if there too heavy.

The tiles are from the tile & stone gallery and they sell them as floor/wall tiles as long as the substrate is suitable.

Andy

G

grumpygrouter

Plaster and skim will safely take 20kg/m2 plasterboard 32kg, including adhesive and grout. Daryl wouldn't fix them if they are too heavy. To satisfy yourself, weigh a tile and calculate how heavy a square metre will be. Add about 4kg for adhesive and grout.:thumbsup:

Alan.P

TF
Reaction score
Sorry Andy, I miss read your post so thought Daryl was just giving pointers and that you were doing the fixing, he knows the score, I've worked with him / for him on a contract, nice fella. Daryl will have done his math on this so don't panic, if you want piece of mind, do as Grumpy says and weigh the tiles.

Sorry for getting the wrong end of the stick. :thumbsup:

A

Ajay

Hi grumpy G

Thanks, i'm sure daryl wouldn't but i told him they were the 30x30 tiles, but as i've now found out the size doesn't matter in relation to weight per sq mt.

As you say probably best to weigh one and work it out except they don't keep them in store.
Perhaps i'll ask if they can find out for me

Thanks again

Andy

D

djr tiling

been looking in to the weights on different walls and cant find the weights on a plastered plasterboard wall and with plasterboard does it make a difference weather its dot and dabed on to a concrete block wall or mechanicly fixed on to steel/wood studs ?????

W

White Room

Tiles and Adhesive Weight Per Square Metre - THE TILE SOURCE

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Tile weight query in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello, I'm just a home owner who doesn't have much experience with tiling but I'm looking for...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm new to the forum and fairly new to tiling, my only previous "proper" job was my recent...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen