Search the forum,

Discuss tile weight issues in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

saintdom

morning all

have these polished marble tiles to fix , i spent alot of time making sure everything was done properly as this is my first time fixing marble.

i went to get a sample tile yesterday to check the weight, jesus the thing is 5.2 kgs 400x400 tile 10mm thick. well by my reckoning thats 30kgs a sq meter without any ady or grout.

can someone tell me how much ady is used in a sq meter, was going to use a 10/12 mm notch .

unfortunatly the shower area has already been plastered which means this is a no go , but what could i offer as an altenative , i guess just rip the plasterboard down and put up new without plastering it.

is it 25 kgs sq m on plaster and 42 for plaster board mechanically fixed.

thanks for your time hope you can help

dom

G

grumpygrouter

No, it is 20kg/m2 for plaster and 32kg for plasterboard (unskimmed). If you have heavy tiles, best to remove the plaster board and replace with backerboard of some sort like Hardie 500 or aquapanel for instance.

O

Olz

morning all

have these polished marble tiles to fix , i spent alot of time making sure everything was done properly as this is my first time fixing marble.

i went to get a sample tile yesterday to check the weight, jesus the thing is 5.2 kgs 400x400 tile 10mm thick. well by my reckoning thats 30kgs a sq meter without any ady or grout.

can someone tell me how much ady is used in a sq meter, was going to use a 10/12 mm notch .

unfortunatly the shower area has already been plastered which means this is a no go , but what could i offer as an altenative , i guess just rip the plasterboard down and put up new without plastering it.

is it 25 kgs sq m on plaster and 42 for plaster board mechanically fixed.

thanks for your time hope you can help

dom

Plasterboard is 32kg/m2 mate not 42kg/m2,

I would rip the plaster and boards off and reboard with hardibacker boards, which take 45kg / m2, they are available from CTD, An approximate for adhesive and grout is 4kg/m2 so you will be within the weight limits and will be able to shower without a hard hat....lol.

Oli :20:

D

Deleted member 1779

Also Dom.

A lot of people are thrown by the weight of tiles. On the wall they look like nothing. When I went by car to pick up 37 square meters the warehouse laughed.

That equates to one pallet. And it weighed a ton. (No I dont mean that in the throw away term to mean heavy) I mean it ACTUALLY WEIGHED ONE TON.

When I put them into my family saloon the back tyres were rubbing the arches. So I have to move the load into the passenger footwell and passenger seat. Tiles had to come out of the boot.

The 800 x 400 (10mm) come in packs of three because the weight is so much that you cant lift a pack. And they were only bound in cardboad.

commercial_tile.jpg

Just one comment... You will get used to the weight over time. And it will keep you trim!

S

saintdom

cheers for the info guys, and sorry about my wrong figures :oops: i was thinking 32 in my head honest.

unfortunatly the large format tiles were only going in a large shower enclosure and i cant see them cutting out a lovely section of wall which will obviously have to come out past said enclosure to find the stud wall.

new tiles me thinks.

O

Olz

cheers for the info guys, and sorry about my wrong figures :oops: i was thinking 32 in my head honest.

unfortunatly the large format tiles were only going in a large shower enclosure and i cant see them cutting out a lovely section of wall which will obviously have to come out past said enclosure to find the stud wall.

new tiles me thinks.

It's not the first time a tiler has turned up to fit tiles only to find the substrates not been done right for the tiles being fitted, gets overlooked alot IMO.

The number of times a new bathrooms been fitted and the walls been plastered over plasterboard, weakening the walls, instead of leaving bare plasterboard, Tilers are an afterthough alot of the time and are involved much too late in the whole refurbishment process.

W

White Room

Your spot on there Oli, a tiler was telling me that done a bathroom with big tiles as he said Bathrooms are not designed for this size tile, no forethought

Reply to tile weight issues in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen