Search the forum,

Discuss Tile spacers for limestone? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

R

robthebubble

Afternoon all!

Just a quick questionon spacers for limestone on the floor and wall. I'm wondering what are ther minimum spacing for limestone tiles on the floor and walls? I remember seeing on the TV a number of years ago some chap using 2pence pieces for floor spacing?

What I really want is a minimal space between the tiles.

Many thanks

Rob

G

grumpygrouter

BS quote minimum 2mm for walls (definate) and 5mm for floors (I think?). The spacing isn't an arbitrary figure, it is suggested because the tiles/floor/walls/grout all expand and contract at different rates. The smaller the grout spacing the more likely you are to have problems with "movement".

W

wetdec

Because stone is not always cut accurately I would say minimum 3mm so you have a little room for adjustment

tiler

S

Spud

you need to tell us how thick the limestone is to identify what joint size you need if you are using a very porous 20mm thick limestone on a floor putting a 3mm joint in would be iffy as the grout wont reach the base of the tile as it will be sucked dry before it hits the substrate if you are using a less porous limestone such as jura 3mm joints on 20mm will be fine ,

R

robthebubble

you need to tell us how thick the limestone is to identify what joint size you need if you are using a very porous 20mm thick limestone on a floor putting a 3mm joint in would be iffy as the grout wont reach the base of the tile as it will be sucked dry before it hits the substrate if you are using a less porous limestone such as jura 3mm joints on 20mm will be fine ,

The tiles are 12mm thick from Manderin Stone being 400mm x 200mm. Not sure if this makes a difference? :huh2:

Cheers

Rob

Reply to Tile spacers for limestone? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen