Search the forum,

Discuss Tile layout problem? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

mick7

Hi all

I'm trying to work out how best to fit 60 x 60 tiles into an "L" shape of total 50 square metres. Standard layout. The "L" is 7.6m x 6.4m at its longest. I tried a bit of CAD sofware recommended on the forum but the layout was too bit. Any ideas please.
Many thanks

G

grumpygrouter

Not enough info Mick. You haven't told us exact dimensions of the L only longest and widest. Also what grout width are you going to use and are the tiles exactly 600x600 or are they 595x595 or 605x605?

Grumpy

M

mick7

Oops, sorry.
Tiles exactly 600 x 600. Grout is 3mm.
Upside down L shape.measurements clockwise. 7.6 x 7 x 5.5 x 4 x 2.80 x 3.4.
Hope this makes sense.
many thanks

G

grumpygrouter

Oops, sorry.
Tiles exactly 600 x 600. Grout is 3mm.
Upside down L shape.measurements clockwise. 7.6 x 7 x 5.5 x 4 x 2.80 x 3.4.
Hope this makes sense.
many thanks
Mmmmm interesting, do the walls actually join up? Dimensions don't add up if you see what I mean or are the walls not square?

Grumpy

M

mick7

the problem is there are a couple of "quirks" to the L shape, I've got it drawn out exact on graph paper but its a bit difficult to explain it on the forum. Can I scan a shape into the forum?

G

grumpygrouter

No idea mick. Never tried it but I suppose you could do it as an attachement.

My gut instinct looking at my little drawing here is to work off the main rectangle and work out from the centre. if you make up a gauging rod and mark it out with your tile size plus grout width you can lay it out and find where your problem areas and cuts will be. Should just be a case of moving your datums around as appropriate to get the best fit.

Grumpy

Last edited by a moderator:
G

grumpygrouter

When you write your replies Mick choose "go advanced" and you can do more things when you reply, like add attachements.

grumpy

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Click the post reply button, post a message and scroll down to the button that says 'manage attachments'. A new window will pop-up, click browse, find the scanned-in file, click upload and you'll go back to the message page, click 'add reply' and wham bam thank you mam your pic should be there.

L

Leatherface

Hi mate -

have you been on a course ?
If the course was any good and you took in all the info then you should know how to set out floors.
Mark out your main room, square off into the L shape. Use a staff to determine position of cuts.
Regards
L

M

mick7

thanks for that. tried it but it wont let me upload for some umknown reason.
----
No have never been on a course unfortunately, just trying to make out with all the great help from the forum

L

Leatherface

Mick - PM me if you want - I will give you my phone number if you want me to talk you through it
Regards L

Reply to Tile layout problem? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen