Search the forum,

Discuss Tile layout on small wall in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

Wstarw

TF
Reaction score
Hi all,
.... just a question on layout (see pics). Presumably I would start near the bottom on the long wall, centred to the window or dependant upon the size of the cut of the tiles at the corners? My main question is:
1) how to tile the small wall after tiling the large wall? The tile is 400mm x 250. The small wall is 500mm and I will be tiling subway style. Therefore there will be a centre line at 249mm (taking into account the 2mm spacer). I will cut 2 tiles at 250mm (approx), and butt them up to the centre line - which is ok, but then the full tile will be centred and will have 50mm slithers either side. Is this the best / only way to set these out?

Thank you

5F78C240-CC2E-4857-A79C-7CCC3E0F73A4.jpeg

3C37B6FC-6909-4682-9E51-4A6C6A2F17EA.jpeg

Tony_C

TF
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
If your tiling brick bond (i assume this is what you mean by subway style) then your cuts on the small wall will be dictated by the cut you have left from the bigger wall that you then wrap round to follow the pattern. It's probably doubtful you will have a full tile centered and half tile in the middle. So what you cut off the tile on the left of the large wall that turns into the small wall will be what you start that row with on the small wall

Wstarw

TF
Reaction score
If your tiling brick bond (i assume this is what you mean by subway style) then your cuts on the small wall will be dictated by the cut you have left from the bigger wall that you then wrap round to follow the pattern. It's probably doubtful you will have a full tile centered and half tile in the middle. So what you cut off the tile on the left of the large wall that turns into the small wall will be what you start that row with on the small wall
Ok, thank you Tony. Does that work the same into the window reveal? - Carry on around - what ever is cut from the facing wall goes around into the reveal?

Tony_C

TF
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
Ok, thank you Tony. Does that work the same into the window reveal? - Carry on around - what ever is cut from the facing wall goes around into the reveal?

Ideally yes but if it ended up leaving a small horrible cut i'd perhaps leave it and just use full bits of tiles. your/customers call on that :)

Reply to Tile layout on small wall in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello I'm new to tiling my first flooring job it's 42sqm in 600x 200 floor tiles (wood effect)...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen