Search the forum,

Discuss Tile layout advice in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

Penguin

TF
Reaction score
IMG_0001_zpsdqqhacxp.jpg
I am choosing for the tiles for my bathroom installation and I would like to use 120cm X 30cm porcelain on the walls.

The wall is 2.33 m wide, so it is 7cm short of two full tiles. If the tiles are to be symmetrical on the wall, that's a 3.5cm cut off every tile.

I am using a professional bathroom company and I don't mind paying to get it done properly. My concern is, will cutting every tile have an overall effect on the finished look?

I am particularly concerned about cuts on the left hand side as this is adjacent to a feature mosaic wall where your eye would be naturally drawn when walking in the room.

Or would it be better to use one full tile on the left and a cut tile on the right, with the centre line off centre by 7cm? (There will be a sink in between the bath and the boxed in area for the toilet frame. )

Any thoughts on what's best to do would be appreciated. Thanks.

IMG_0001.jpg

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Is it just one wall you're tiling?

Find the center and it's either full tile from it (so grout joint on the center) or move it over half a tile. See what both options are like and you want the bigger cut at the ends. So cutting 3.5cm off each tile?

JMC tiling

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Hi, I personally would centre line it (taking into account the thickness of the mosaic tile), tile that wall first then mosaic the adjacent wall. it will look odd if you don't centre the wall IMHO and there should be a nice neat silicone bead in the corner anyway so you shouldn't see any cutting.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Hang on I just looked at your drawing.

So you've got the option of adding a 7cm bit. Or using 3 tiles wide with one full in the middle and cutting 53?cm off each of the end tiles.

JMC tiling

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Hang on I just looked at your drawing.

So you've got the option of adding a 7cm bit. Or using 3 tiles wide with one full in the middle and cutting 53?cm off each of the end tiles.
like Dan says, you can either centre with a grout joint or centre a tile to the line cut wither side.

Penguin

TF
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I had not thought about putting a full tile in the centre. That's certainly an option to consider.

Penguin

TF
Reaction score
Hi, I personally would centre line it (taking into account the thickness of the mosaic tile), tile that wall first then mosaic the adjacent wall. it will look odd if you don't centre the wall IMHO and there should be a nice neat silicone bead in the corner anyway so you shouldn't see any cutting.

I am probably worrying myself unnecessarily about cut tiles. Whichever tiles I use or how I use them, there will always end up being some cuts in the corners.

The tile supplier recommends grouting the internal corners and sealing with clear silicone. I'm not a fan of silicone but I am not sure how I would like clear silicone on top of grout. I've never seen it. Would this not look a mess if the grout cracked from movement of the walls? Is this a technique which is normally used or a bad idea.

Thanks

H

hmtiling

I am probably worrying myself unnecessarily about cut tiles. Whichever tiles I use or how I use them, there will always end up being some cuts in the corners.

The tile supplier recommends grouting the internal corners and sealing with clear silicone. I'm not a fan of silicone but I am not sure how I would like clear silicone on top of grout. I've never seen it. Would this not look a mess if the grout cracked from movement of the walls? Is this a technique which is normally used or a bad idea.

Thanks
Bad idea imo. I leave corners free of grout and fill with colour coded silicone.

Reply to Tile layout advice in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen