Currently reading:
Tile grout blown, tiles easily lifted up. what's the problem?

Search the forum,

Discuss Tile grout blown, tiles easily lifted up. what's the problem? in the Tile Adhesive / Grout Advice area at TilersForums.com.

Hi,
I have numerous problems with tiles laid about four months ago.
Problems include:Grout coming up; tiles moving up and down; hollow sound when you step on a tile.
I lifted a tile. It came up very easily - in one sharp blow of a hammer! Underneath is tons of grey stuff that has cracked - presumably the glue.
What has happened? Has the glue not worked ?
What should i do to rectify this problem?
Thank you for any advice.
Brendan

Tiles hallway 1.JPG Tiles hallway.JPG

Many thanks for your replies.

You could be correct about the possibility of damp. We are having to install a damp course into the adjacent walls in the front hallway. Dampness runs half way up the walls.

Saying that, the joists and noggins weren’t damp when the tiles were installed.

Plus, the builder used cheap plywood. Some of it (6mm) went onto floor boards. The remainder was 18mm ply where they were no floorboards.

Is it just damp that would cause the adhesive not to bond to the tile or ply?

Some recommend I don’t use plywood. Do you agree?

What does SBR bonding do (in layman’s simple terms!)?

Bond

TF
Arms
Highland
Many thanks for your replies.

You could be correct about the possibility of damp. We are having to install a damp course into the adjacent walls in the front hallway. Dampness runs half way up the walls.

Saying that, the joists and noggins weren’t damp when the tiles were installed.

Plus, the builder used cheap plywood. Some of it (6mm) went onto floor boards. The remainder was 18mm ply where they were no floorboards.

Is it just damp that would cause the adhesive not to bond to the tile or ply?

Some recommend I don’t use plywood. Do you agree?

What does SBR bonding do (in layman’s simple terms!)?

SBR, is a primer and admixture , which increases bond strength and flexibility.

Bond

TF
Arms
Highland
another issue is that the tiles slope downwards as they approach the front door!
how would i straighten this? is screed the correct material?
Thank you!
If you are lifting and replacing the flooring, you can level the floor by fixing timber fillets onto the joists. ( tapering timber pieces, to bring floor to level ,before re-laying flooring).

You say that you have damp , half way up walls. Also worth checking the condition of the over site, (is it sealed). What is the sub floor ventilation like?. Do you have issues of sub-floor condensation. Closely inspect joist ends where close to damp external walls.

Reply to Tile grout blown, tiles easily lifted up. what's the problem? in the Tile Adhesive / Grout Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, I am planning on tiling my concrete garage floor with porcelain tiles. The concrete was laid down several years ago by a previous owner, and it looks like it was also polished and sealed -...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement