Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. ismoat Building Products

Discuss Tile grout blown, tiles easily lifted up. what's the problem? in the Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.co.uk.

1. Brendan1

Brendan1 Active Member

Hi,
    I have numerous problems with tiles laid about four months ago.
    Problems include:Grout coming up; tiles moving up and down; hollow sound when you step on a tile.
    I lifted a tile. It came up very easily - in one sharp blow of a hammer! Underneath is tons of grey stuff that has cracked - presumably the glue.
    What has happened? Has the glue not worked ?
    What should i do to rectify this problem?
    Thank you for any advice.
    Brendan

Tiles hallway 1.JPG Tiles hallway.JPG

2. Matt Bott

Matt Bott Professional Tiler

Looks like the adhesive has failed is it damp at all ?

3. pdc

pdc Professional Tiler

What is the floor under the tiles?

4. impish

impish Trusted Advisor Professional Tiler Top Contributor

I'm guessing 6mm ply.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. callatiler

callatiler Professional Tiler JOTM Winner Top Contributor

Looks like the adhesive was already too dry as it has not bonded onto tile or ply. Best to take up floor, if tiles all come up like that they can be used again just clean edges. Give sub floor a good coat of SBR bonding, and a bag of slow set flexible S1 cement based adhesive ( Mapei etc ) from your local tile shop. Grout with a flexible grout

6. Bond

Bond Active Member

As noted above. Adhesive failure! may also have dampness issues. Is this a ground floor entrance?, if so, I would check the structural integrity of the floor joists and for potential sub-floor dampness problems. Only way to know is ,take up the tiles, etc and have the area inspected.

7. timeless john

timeless john Trusted Advisor Trusted Advisor Professional Tiler JOTM Winner Top Contributor

Your not having much luck are you.
    That's 2 threads started both with tiles coming up. This hallway and a bathroom.
    I'd get the tiler back!

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. Glynn

Glynn Company Support

It could be that the adhesive has not been serrated out evenly and the tile not back buttered, also the adhesive looks dark like it is still damp. Could there be damp there? Is there any UFH?

9. Brendan1

Brendan1 Active Member

Many thanks for your replies.

You could be correct about the possibility of damp. We are having to install a damp course into the adjacent walls in the front hallway. Dampness runs half way up the walls.

Saying that, the joists and noggins weren’t damp when the tiles were installed.

Plus, the builder used cheap plywood. Some of it (6mm) went onto floor boards. The remainder was 18mm ply where they were no floorboards.

Is it just damp that would cause the adhesive not to bond to the tile or ply?

Some recommend I don’t use plywood. Do you agree?

What does SBR bonding do (in layman’s simple terms!)?

10. impish

I Win! 6mm ply. That square crazing on the adhesive bed gave it away.

11. impish

To answer your original question though, how to rectify it. It all needs taking up. Replace the ply with something stronger that's not 6mm ply. if you've damp issues, I'd suggest overboard the floor with 10mm wedi board. Or ditra membrane.
    And most important, get a tiler in who knows how to prepare properly!

• Like Like x 1
  12. Brendan1

Brendan1 Active Member

Thank you!
    So, 6mm is too thin?
    if so, what material and mm width do you recommend? I heard backer board is the best.

13. Brendan1

Brendan1 Active Member

is wedi board the same as backer board?

14. Brendan1

Brendan1 Active Member

another issue is that the tiles slope downwards as they approach the front door!
    how would i straighten this? is screed the correct material?
    Thank you!

15. Bond

Bond Active Member

SBR, is a primer and admixture , which increases bond strength and flexibility.

16. Bond

Bond Active Member

If you are lifting and replacing the flooring, you can level the floor by fixing timber fillets onto the joists. ( tapering timber pieces, to bring floor to level ,before re-laying flooring).

You say that you have damp , half way up walls. Also worth checking the condition of the over site, (is it sealed). What is the sub floor ventilation like?. Do you have issues of sub-floor condensation. Closely inspect joist ends where close to damp external walls.

17. timeless john

timeless john Trusted Advisor Trusted Advisor Professional Tiler JOTM Winner Top Contributor

But all these issues should have been addressed by your tiler on inspection before he attempted to lay tiles.

• Agree Agree x 3
  18. Localtiler

Localtiler Professional Tiler Top Contributor

Your best bet is to get a genuinely good tiler in who knows what's what to sort it all out for you, pay him well and put it down to experience

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. ATZ Tiling

ATZ Tiling TilersForums.co.uk Addict

Most self levelling have Gypsum in them, so you will need to check for damp prior as this would likely fail too.