Search the forum,

Discuss Tile adhesive rip off??? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

L

lon1mxl

hello i wonder if someone can help me out here

we have bought porcelain floor tiles (60x60) from topps tiles. with it they sold us 8 bags of flexible adhesive at £58 per bag - thats almost half of what we paid for the tiles themselves.

is it really necessary to have such expensive adhesive?

could someone recommend anything else that is not so expensive. i understand the ready mix tub stuff may not be appropriate but surely there must be somethign that can do the same job that is not so costly.

thanks!!

J

jay

:welcome: need more info please how many m2 of tiles whats the substrate are they polished porc thanks:8:

L

lon1mxl

also i forgot to mention that about 20% of the floor is floorboard and the rest concrete (where the kitchen has been extended)

J

jay

did they supp]y anything else and are you intending to lay tiles yourself any idea which brand oadh it seems a lot :8:

L

lon1mxl

apart from grout etc nothing else.

the brand of adhesive is Toppfix Rapidset Flexible

F

foxman

You have definatley paid well over the top for your adhesive mate, as for your floor i would overlay the floor boards with 12 mm exterior grade ply leave a few mill gap for expansion and fill with silicone, seal the back and sides with acrylic primer stick down with no nails and screw down every 200 centres or a hardibacker stick down with flexi adhesive and then screw down the same as ply bring the concrete up to the same level making sure you leave a silicone expansion joint between ply and concrete then overlay all the floor with either ditra matting or durabase ci decoupling mat, to put this down use a cement based flexi adhesive with a 4mm trowel spread the adhesive the same as if you were laying tiles lay mat and then use the flat side of the trowel on a angle iron out the full area of matting, then tile as normal using flexi adhesive again. Cheers Mick

L

lon1mxl

hey mick many thanks for the detailed explanation - appreciated!

i have the option of returning the bags to topps but i need to know what i could get instead. they will just tell me i need the expensive stuff but i need an impartial opinion.

i am not a tiler and so do not know a lot about this except that it seemed very expensive. which adhesive would you recommend i buy

thank you!

J

jay

as above would recomend getting a pro in as your floor being timber and concrete needs to be done right the prep work involved is def needed as for adh let tiler supply his own that way he can carry his garantee he should know whats best the tiles 600x600 are not the best to lay for diy as lippage can happen easily for the non pro also your tiles may need to be sealed (with an ipregnator doesnt change the appearance) if you like post job on here and a local tiler can pm you for a quote hope this helps :8:

Reply to Tile adhesive rip off??? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen