Discuss Tile adhesive advice please in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

M

minesapint

Hi, I am about start a bathroom project and after some advice on adhesives.
I am going to be tiling floors and walls with ceramic tiles.
The floor is concrete.
The walls are a mix of brick and moisture proof plaster board-the room is being made bigger and a stud wall going up.
The stud wall will also form part if the shower enclosure, doin need any additional treatment to the plaster board? Or will the moisture board, adhesive and tiles form a barrier?
Thanks

Q

Qwerty

Welcome to the forum

Go for a standard setting cement based bagged adhesive. There are many different manufacturers but something like Mapei Adeselix P9, Tilemaster Extrabond or Weber Set Plus would be perfect. White or grey adhesive depends on your tile & grout colour choice.

I would advise that you tank the shower area walls with a liquid tanking product. Again, a good few products in the market. They are quick and easy to use.

Any photos of the room and tiles?

M

minesapint

Thanks for getting back to me.
Can I use the mapei product for wall and floor tiles?
Can you point me in the direction of a reasonable tanking product?
I will post some pics up when it starts to come together, I am taking a wall down and removing the old ceiling first so lots of prep!

Q

Qwerty

Yes, Mapei P9 is suitable for walls & floors. It is a heavily polymer modified adhesive. Mixes up and trowels nicely.

Mapei Mapegum is a perfect tanking product for a novice to use. Available in alot of places - Mapei Shower Waterproofing Kit - https://www.NoLinksToThis/p/mapei-shower-waterproofing-kit/78484?_requestid=147118

M

minesapint

Great, thanks again.
I take it I am better off going for a powder adhesive instead of a ready mix?

M

minesapint

When it comes to grouting, can I use any product or will it have to be a mapei one?

With the Mapei Adeselix P9, do any of the diy centres stock it as I can only source it online?

Q

Qwerty

I would recommend an 8mm trowel for the walls and 10mm or U notch trowel for the floor. It does also depend on how flat the substrates are

Q

Qwerty

Have you thought about getting some quotes off of some pros or are you set on doing it yourself?

M

minesapint

I have had quotes, but they have been inconsistant so wasn't sure why so much variation
Have also been let down and messed around by several contractors.
Happy to have a go, the advice you have given will certainly help and I apologise for all the questions.
I am pretty confident that my attempt will look better than the room we currently have!

Reply to Tile adhesive advice please in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks