Currently reading:
The builders are coming in!

Discuss The builders are coming in! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

P

Pebbs

I have the builders coming in tomorrow, I want the bathroom ripped out,(except the mosaic) the kitchen ripped out, in fact its fair to say, most of the house ripped out. The funny thing is, its kind of scaring me, letting one company do everything, its going to be funny sitting on the other side of the fence and watching the going on's. I dont like dealing with the public, with their can you just do this, do that....and now Im thinking my God I might turn out like that!

What if they send along a team of dum dums and a big tub of pva? I think I will have a freak out! Do I make them tea? or show them the kettle and let them get on with it. I dont want to scare them! but I dont suffer fools easily.

Lynn

U

user123

Re Timelss John - couldn't have said it better myself :) Pebbs, just enjoy having it all done new and nice! I am sure you have done your homework in deciding who you want to do this, if they passed your research scrutiny all will be fine. :) Then again you might enjoy being a proper Bodicea and woe those who put a foot wrong!! Either way I think you'll be alright :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
A

Aston

hi pebbs
despite their bad press, theirs lots of good builders out there.

a pro builder is like any other pro.they will be very organised, working to a time scale, and ensuring all their subbies ( joke ;0) workers and doing a good thorough job..

My big advice is - dont get to friendly with a builder. its easy to do when they are on your property for 4-6 weeks but its the worst thing that you can do. treat them like one of your own workers. be polite but dont get to chatty, they are working for you and the last thing you need is another friend! one whos costing you money and time through long and happy chats lol

anyway, you dont appear to be a soft touch so i am sure you'll have them in line!

cheers
ed

P

Pebbs

Ok I loaded the bathroom up with loo roll, I'll get some McVities in the morning, the Abel and Cole deliver tomorrow so if they behave theirselves they can have some scones, and I'll let them get on with it. Ive cleared the first two rooms because I remember you all saying about customers leaving stuff around, and naffing you off. John they have to re-grout some of the mosaic in the area under the roof...that should be a good un! the rest is going to be lovely smooth plaster (I hope). I just thought of something I cant go to the loo with them in the house! Id die of embrassment.

Lynn

C

cornish_crofter

I have the builders coming in tomorrow, I want the bathroom ripped out,(except the mosaic) the kitchen ripped out, in fact its fair to say, most of the house ripped out. The funny thing is, its kind of scaring me, letting one company do everything, its going to be funny sitting on the other side of the fence and watching the going on's. I dont like dealing with the public, with their can you just do this, do that....and now Im thinking my God I might turn out like that!

What if they send along a team of dum dums and a big tub of pva? I think I will have a freak out! Do I make them tea? or show them the kettle and let them get on with it. I dont want to scare them! but I dont suffer fools easily.

Lynn

There's no harm letting them know about your extensive knowledge of the trade and asking them to explain how they would approach certain parts of the job. After all it's your money and you would want to make sure it's well spent.

After all you'd kick yourself if it later turned out that they missed something that you could have discussed with the foreman over a cup of tea. If they then go and miss something you have little or no knowledge about then that is unfortunate, but not as gauling as if one guy had done something like used PVA prior to fitting some nice expensive travertine, and you then had upwards of £1000 damage to your worksurfaces as a result.

I must be fairly unusual with customers. I actually quite enjoy explaining in every detail how the job will be done. I actually quite like customers getting involved and would prefer being asked to do something slightly differently to the customer's preference - whilst I still can. For example, setting out tiles is something I like to get the customer involved in at an early stage.

S

Scott

Heres their day, scaffold arrives at 8.00am they turn up at 9.00am, cup of tea, look around, put some protection down. They go to the cafe, I go to the loo! They return, they strip a bit of paper of the walls, their project manager arrives, they trot of to get some bits from the yard....End of day.

No wonder people hate site work, residential so far is the life of riley!

Lynn

:lol::lol::lol:

Friendly scaffolders lynn? ;)

Reply to The builders are coming in! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The homeowner of the property I'm working on has just come to me and asked if anything can be done about...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you have shower leakage that goes downstairs leading to either your main floor or basement? Read this blog...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.