Search the forum,

Discuss The Beast in the Tiling Tools area at TilersForums.com.

M

Mike ramsdale

Last edited by a moderator:
C

Concrete guy

The Hz rating of American machinery is slightly different to UK, but fundamentally there's no reason you can't just chop off the plug and use a transformer.

You can also buy UK 240v to US 120v step down transformers but you'd need a pretty powerful one to stop the RCD's tripping on the consumer unit.

These days with the poor Sterling/Dollar rate, shipping cost, import duty and VAT it's probably no longer worthwhile. There was a time that stuff was effectively half price, when it was (years ago) I bought a compound mitre saw from the US for less than half the cost in the UK.

Kyle Knowles

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Widnes
Does anyone know if you can somehow use American tools in the UK? this cutter looks the bollox and half price of the Dewalt on ebay but I can't find a UK version anywhere. the one step set up is a time saver and its way more versatile than the dewalt with the sliding head etc.......
https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&s...RMxxQN6WnMJReW68Q&sig2=O0ic6-RS7VXxwVfeS-tDAA
I emailed a seller on ebay asking how much postage would be and it was about 200 quid I fancied one my self till then

Kyle Knowles

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Widnes

Kyle Knowles

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Widnes
Genuinely interested..what exactly does it do an angle grinder with a decent blade in it can't?
It's obvious isn't it u can't knock out repetitive cuts of the same size with a angle grinder u can't bevel or miter with a grinder plus who wants to be covered in dust all the time

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
England
Erm,typically ;) i find it quicker and more accurate with a grinder on stone .
The house i did recently was around 3/4 foot out of square front to back .
Every room (7 rooms in total) was twisted badly , it would of taken me longer to cut with my machine , i just measured, marked and cut away .
Oh and every blooody skirting was on in every room , and not one wall or skirting straight :(

Ps i once saw a thread or post on here years ago saying you should not use wet cutters on stone as you can't lay it wet?

IMG_6236.JPG IMG_6307.JPG IMG_6033.JPG

O

One Day

You're right Craig but thankfully most of my floors have no skirts in place so i can rip-cut everything.
As for fixing wet, I'll take the argument on!
Wet through obviously not a good idea, but damp is fine. Any moisture should be locked up with the adhesive setting, any moisture in the stone body will dry and depending on what/how you're sealing you might need to wait until dry.
Last job i used universeal rapid all in one which can be used on damp stone.
I'd rather fix damp stone into adhesive than dusty stone.

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
England
Clearly with "bespoke" cuts a grinder is going to be easier but with repetitive cuts doesn't the saw win? Horses for courses isn't it?

You're right Craig but thankfully most of my floors have no skirts in place so i can rip-cut everything.
As for fixing wet, I'll take the argument on!
Wet through obviously not a good idea, but damp is fine. Any moisture should be locked up with the adhesive setting, any moisture in the stone body will dry and depending on what/how you're sealing you might need to wait until dry.
Last job i used universeal rapid all in one which can be used on damp stone.
I'd rather fix damp stone into adhesive than dusty stone.
Not sure paul if im honest,i cut everything with the grinder on this job, but i think its each to his own , i have quite a steady hand(apart from mondays :) ) so i find it quicker than faffing about with a big machine, lining it up (not every cut is going to be perfectly strsight, how many rooms are perfectly square :mad:)
Dave ;)
Im not arguing about wet cutters, needless to say i didn't listen to the advice :tearsofjoy:as i thought it was a bit blooody stupid advice imo , i do still use a wet cutter when i can be bothered to get it out .
Your points about drying when laid and it won't be dusty were my thoughts , so i carried on as normal :innocent:

S

Spare Tool

@Andystiletiling
Erm, I'm sure, yes yes you did , you borrowed my wet cutter the other week to cut slate skirts ;)
Or is it, "I don't need one, Craig has one" kinda thing :):)
You HAD to mention that didn't ya!! :)
Must admit it did give a nice exposed edge on the skirts..
Still for once in every blue moon, then yes mate...you have one ;)

Reply to The Beast in the Tiling Tools area at TilersForums.com

Make sure to mark a post as a solution for better transparency.
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement

Tiling Tools

Find the cheapest price for both professional and DIY wall and floor tiling tools in the UK. Brands such as Rubi, Genesis, Fein, Karl Dahm, isomat, Schluter, Tilemaster and more.

Birthdays

You're browsing the Tiling Tools category on TilersForums.com. Find the correct trowels to use with which type of tiling. Find advice on lash clips and levelling systems and more.