• Thread starter Mike ramsdale
  • Start date
  • Replies 60
  • Views 9K
Search the forum,

Discuss The Beast in the Tiling Tools | Tile Cutters, Trowels area at TilersForums.com.

O

One Day

Very smooth edge to cuts.
20mm limestone with an angle grinder and top quality blade = maybe 2or3 mins per cut.
Dewalt, or other decent saw = 30 secs.
Minutes turn to hours, hours turn to days, days turn to lost profits.

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Erm,typically ;) i find it quicker and more accurate with a grinder on stone .
The house i did recently was around 3/4 foot out of square front to back .
Every room (7 rooms in total) was twisted badly , it would of taken me longer to cut with my machine , i just measured, marked and cut away .
Oh and every blooody skirting was on in every room , and not one wall or skirting straight :(

Ps i once saw a thread or post on here years ago saying you should not use wet cutters on stone as you can't lay it wet?

IMG_6236.JPG IMG_6307.JPG IMG_6033.JPG

W

WetSaw

Clearly with "bespoke" cuts a grinder is going to be easier but with repetitive cuts doesn't the saw win? Horses for courses isn't it?

O

One Day

You're right Craig but thankfully most of my floors have no skirts in place so i can rip-cut everything.
As for fixing wet, I'll take the argument on!
Wet through obviously not a good idea, but damp is fine. Any moisture should be locked up with the adhesive setting, any moisture in the stone body will dry and depending on what/how you're sealing you might need to wait until dry.
Last job i used universeal rapid all in one which can be used on damp stone.
I'd rather fix damp stone into adhesive than dusty stone.

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Clearly with "bespoke" cuts a grinder is going to be easier but with repetitive cuts doesn't the saw win? Horses for courses isn't it?

You're right Craig but thankfully most of my floors have no skirts in place so i can rip-cut everything.
As for fixing wet, I'll take the argument on!
Wet through obviously not a good idea, but damp is fine. Any moisture should be locked up with the adhesive setting, any moisture in the stone body will dry and depending on what/how you're sealing you might need to wait until dry.
Last job i used universeal rapid all in one which can be used on damp stone.
I'd rather fix damp stone into adhesive than dusty stone.
Not sure paul if im honest,i cut everything with the grinder on this job, but i think its each to his own , i have quite a steady hand(apart from mondays :) ) so i find it quicker than faffing about with a big machine, lining it up (not every cut is going to be perfectly strsight, how many rooms are perfectly square :mad:)
Dave ;)
Im not arguing about wet cutters, needless to say i didn't listen to the advice :tearsofjoy:as i thought it was a bit blooody stupid advice imo , i do still use a wet cutter when i can be bothered to get it out .
Your points about drying when laid and it won't be dusty were my thoughts , so i carried on as normal :innocent:

D

Dumbo

One thing with wet cutters from personal experience. Make hell of a mess but I do use a permanent bridge saw .

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
its horses for courses as some wise man said ;)
All wet cutters are dirty , spraying water etc, but grinders are dusty , dust everywhere , wet cutters win it for me on being cleaner, but still mucky though :)

Reply to The Beast in the Tiling Tools | Tile Cutters, Trowels area at TilersForums.com

Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tiling Tools

Find the cheapest price for both professional and DIY wall and floor tiling tools in the UK. Brands such as Rubi, Genesis, Fein, Karl Dahm, isomat, Schluter, Tilemaster and more.

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen