Search the forum,

Discuss Talk about standing the test of time. in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Just done a night making good to a floor in a local seaside coffee bar, it has not been touched since the early 70s.The floor is marble mosiac area about 120m2,the mosiac was layed in 71 and fixed with Bal Flex on Hardboard :yikes: yes Hardboard !.It has thousand's of customer's in the summer very busy and although the mosiac is starting to break down it is still stuck fast,44 years does make you think.

T

Time's Ran Out

Bal flex was a 2 part mixture that smelt like cats pee and stuck like dogs poo!
The most flexible adhesive ever in my opinion but larger format tiles would have cracked along the substrate seams a long time ago. It mixed like Aero chocolate and set like compressed rubber.
Oil tempered hardboard was use​d on vinyl tiles and no doubt with mosaics it was considered correct in early 1970s.

M

mike1979

Bal flex was a 2 part mixture that smelt like cats pee and stuck like dogs poo!
The most flexible adhesive ever in my opinion but larger format tiles would have cracked along the substrate seams a long time ago. It mixed like Aero chocolate and set like compressed rubber.
Oil tempered hardboard was use​d on vinyl tiles and no doubt with mosaics it was considered correct in early 1970s.
I used the bal two part when I was an apprentice 16 years ago and got the stuff everywhere black it was if I remember correctly

Reply to Talk about standing the test of time. in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Replies you've not seen