Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Talk about standing the test of time. in the Australia area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

afright

TF
Reaction score
Just done a night making good to a floor in a local seaside coffee bar, it has not been touched since the early 70s.The floor is marble mosiac area about 120m2,the mosiac was layed in 71 and fixed with Bal Flex on Hardboard :yikes: yes Hardboard !.It has thousand's of customer's in the summer very busy and although the mosiac is starting to break down it is still stuck fast,44 years does make you think.

T

Time's Ran Out

Bal flex was a 2 part mixture that smelt like cats pee and stuck like dogs poo!
The most flexible adhesive ever in my opinion but larger format tiles would have cracked along the substrate seams a long time ago. It mixed like Aero chocolate and set like compressed rubber.
Oil tempered hardboard was use​d on vinyl tiles and no doubt with mosaics it was considered correct in early 1970s.

afright

TF
Reaction score
Yes I have used it plenty of times it came in 5 gallon tins and large bag ,had a tiler who had an old cortina he used chicken wire and balflex to fill in the side of his wing them painted it ,he had that car for a few years and it never came of.

afright

TF
Reaction score
The job was done by my old firm thats how I knew what year it was done but I never worked on it,I was still learning then and my boss would not let me work on the job ,all mosiac work was done by the elite tilers

T

Time's Ran Out

The job was done by my old firm thats how I knew what year it was done but I never worked on it,I was still learning then and my boss would not let me work on the job ,all mosiac work was done by the elite tilers

How times change - now you can go on a forum and your a tiler!

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
That stuff would stick wings to an aeroplane..... got my hands covered with it once....took weeks to get it off...

M

mike1979

Bal flex was a 2 part mixture that smelt like cats pee and stuck like dogs poo!
The most flexible adhesive ever in my opinion but larger format tiles would have cracked along the substrate seams a long time ago. It mixed like Aero chocolate and set like compressed rubber.
Oil tempered hardboard was use​d on vinyl tiles and no doubt with mosaics it was considered correct in early 1970s.
I used the bal two part when I was an apprentice 16 years ago and got the stuff everywhere black it was if I remember correctly

T

Time's Ran Out

I used the bal two part when I was an apprentice 16 years ago and got the stuff everywhere black it was if I remember correctly

It mixed up silver grey and dried black.
Had a very short pot life of 30 mins and was brilliant and evil stuff at the same time.

afright

TF
Reaction score
Went back today to get paid and was asked to give a price for the bathroom above the shop the bathroom is to be made into a showeroom,the bathroom suite has been there for 70 years and is in amaculate condition bright pink and the basin is the size of the bath.

ttt tiling

TF
Arms
Reaction score
That's funny , we inherited a pink suite when we moved a year ago , still got it and probably will another year on!

Reply to Talk about standing the test of time. in the Australia area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks