Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Swimming Pools in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

M

mozzy

Hi lads 19 yr old apprentice here,

just wondering if you's could answer a question:

the company i work 4 do alot of jobs in swimming pools where tiles are obviously exposed to water. this week i'am working down whitley bay swimming pool and i was wondering, what will they use to repel the water and moisture from getting behind the tiles? a tanking system :dizzy2:??? i no epoxy resin is water resistant but is that enough???

hope 2 hear the answer soon, thanks james

F

faithhealer

Hi James, never done a pool before but I would think the company you work for know what they are doing. If it's 'Wet 'n' Wild' you are doing , do a good job or my kids will be after you!!

D

doug boardley

whitley bay, had an afternoon out there on my stag w/end at newcastle......... messy.
only done 1 pool myself, over 20 years ago now, and I can't remember tanking, but can certainly remember epoxy grout!

W

White Room

Never done a pool but your tiling is'nt what is going to keep the water secure it's the background/substrate

Reaction score
most pools today are tiled just using flexi adhesive and expoxy grout, as whitebean said its the back ground thats important most pools are rendered up using special waterproof/repellent render it normally bagged stuff usually by pci / ardex mixed with its own additive in a drum mixer and then rendered up after the bottom has been screeded allow drying time as stated in spec and tile and grout as standard if thats possible with a pool :dizzy2:

C

cornish_crofter

I could be wrong but I think they use a good quality SBR in with the render in the large pools. This mix actually will hold several gallons of water when set.

If you use the right quantity of SBR in a mix you quite often don't need water, or a very minimal amount, yet it still sets.

More modern construction for smaller pools often involves massive rigid 'pond liners'.

With a construction that size, the chances are that you may get the odd small leak, similar to a dripping tap, but with evaporation, condensation, and rainfall (if outside) that sort of quantity is lost in the pipework. Leaks will be lost underground.

If the pool has rooms underneath then my guess is that this eventuality will have to be considered at design stage to introduce runoff.

M

mozzy

yeah first day on the new site and we are using white flexi adhesive with epoxy resin, we are using white mosaics for the pool which is about 600m in total length. thanks 4 your posts

Reply to Swimming Pools in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mcgtech
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks