Search the forum,

Discuss substrate advice - amtico flooring in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

cam_low

TF
Reaction score
I have just been to price a floor in a nail bar. They have amtico down and by eye I can tell the SLC was just done to give smooth surface.

Im pretty sure they wont go for it but Ive got to work out a price. probs around 60m2.

Whats the best thing to do with this stuff?

Im assuming lift rescreed and tile. I know it cant be tiled on.

cheers peeps thanks :)

P

Protilers

well.....as far as I am aware......you can tile it with S1 SPF....amtico is fixed with a contact adhesive to SLC....(I level a good few floors per year for amtico fitters!) so the amtico is solid!....you will need to degrease it etc..

alternatively, for a more belt and braces approach......degrease the floor and affix ditra with Mapei adesilex vs45.....then tile....

or pull up the amtico and cover the horrible, sticky floor with an epoxy based primer, blind with sharp and re level...........

all the best

Lee

cam_low

TF
Reaction score
Thank you lee. I would be interested to hear from people who have tiled over it. It still doesnt take away the fact that it needs levelling. Something I may have to get you to do as im ovrr my head with graft. Pm me with a roundabout price if you coukd. Ill work out exact metreage now. Is this ok wit you? or do you require a visual on it ?

Last edited:

peteablard

TF
Arms
Reaction score
You can tile on to it but personally I wouldn't. I uplift hundreds of m2 of Amtico every year, sometimes it's a nightmare to get up and sometimes it lifts up like it's never seen a drop of adhesive!

peteablard

TF
Arms
Reaction score
The majority of the time I use a 4" scraper to lift a corner then rip it up by hand. Never used my heat gun to do it but have used plenty of elbow grease on some floors!!

cam_low

TF
Reaction score
Righteo chaps. I'm going to fly through the quote and see what it comes out at, bearing in mind I think its a 30% chance they will want it as I can see it costing a pretty penny from start to finish including closing business for a few days.

Reply to substrate advice - amtico flooring in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen