Discuss Spent three days reading & lurking... in the The Welcome Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
...and finally registered. Seriously, I've spent hours reading posts on here.

The joining instructions have ordered me to introduce myself. So...
Hello. 40. Limited mobility. Am updating bits of my late mother's house, where I'm now living.
I build and service my own bikes so I do have a decent toolbox*...of bike-related gear. I've taken over my mother's DIY kit as well - there's a few things in the garage. She used to do a fair bit of the work needed, so between the two lots of stuff, there's usually something.

Current projects are:
- tiling of a kitchenette
- boxing in pipes and tiling the boxing in one bathroom
- deciding what to do about the tiles in another bathroom
- regrouting both, in an effort to make them look more modern.

Enough of me. Ta-ra.

*actually, that's more like three boxes of tools and parts

O

Old Mod

Hi and welcome to the forum Dotti,
Nothing obligatory this side of the registration process except good manner and images of failed diy projects (any, were not fussy! :D) so that we may add some extras levity to our lives. :):)
Thanks for posting.

Reaction score
Hi and welcome to the forum Dotti,
Nothing obligatory this side of the registration process except good manner and images of failed diy projects (any, were not fussy! :D) so that we may add some extras levity to our lives. :):)
Thanks for posting.

Oh yes, I can find a few of them.
My mother did some fantastic work on the place - she never called someone in who would do a worse job than she could manage. The only time she swore was when doing DIY - I can remember her spending HOURS getting a cooker hood millimetre-perfect and I had never heard language like that from her. Turned the air blue.
Once, she gave in and paid a tiler* to do a small job...and redid the work herself as soon as he left as it was so badly done, she couldn't bear to look at it.
*Her selection of tradesman was mainly at fault - she usually got whoever was available, and around here the good ones are so busy, they rarely return calls/messages as they have enough work already. Since I've moved here - one guy came to quote for the kitchen job took him a couple of weeks to come and I heard nothing back from him for over a fortnight, despite chasing it. Had an electrician pop by for the same job...then nothing for five days, by which time I'd found someone else.

However, her tools weren't so great, she didn't have the knowledge for finishing, and standards dropped a bit when she was unwell.
You would laugh at some of the...interesting bits of DIY that I'm discovering. Including the tiling. I'll pop some pics up when I can.

Reply to Spent three days reading & lurking... in the The Welcome Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks