Search the forum,

Discuss small rock ok floor tile?? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

G

G1zm0

thanx for reply,is a jigsaw anygood?, the floor is secured to joists, i made sure of that ans replaced a good few parts and where the board was only secured using the t&g (not supported by joist) i added a bit wood and nailed it to it so no bounce.

will the hardi do away with my original prob of the rocking tile? or should i bite the bullet, lift all the floor and redo with 18mm ply then i can tile straight onto that?

when you guys add the additional hight, what do yous do about the difference in floor height between the hall and toilet?

a looked at the bridges that hide a the joint of carpet to tiles but they are for flat surfaces not a stap of 18mm???

lol prob would have been cheaper getting someone in to do it, spent over £300 on wood, tools ect

G

G1zm0

i read theres an alternative to the hardi board, called no more ply and its easy to cut, but need special glue and nails to affix it?.

i was trying to see where the resellers of this product is based around galsgow area.

for under £8 compired to the price of hardi is good, keep costs down

G

Gazzer

No More Ply is similar to Hardibacker but as you say it is fixed with special adhesive and a few screws. I actually use it as my local tile outlet stocks it.
This rocking tile ?? Does it rock on the original floor? , if so you need to sort it out 1st. Laying a covering may not help you over that problem.

As for the jigsaw, the boards will render the blades useless pretty soon.

Last edited by a moderator:
G

G1zm0

the original floor , yes i think it does with the rocking tile, its where the 2 chipboard t&g meet, one comes in from hall to bathroom about 4 inches and the other comes from kitchen and joins it.

and the joint where the hall and b/room meet is where the rock is, the walls were installed after the floor was down i guess as the boards run under all the walls.

only think i caan think of to solve it, is empty bathroom and lift up old floor, and where it runs into other rooms . cut it at the joist and nail a new joist to support new floor panels. and put in noggins as well then fit new floor.

i take it shanked nails will be ok to nail floor to joists as they are grooved so they cont come out easily??

then after that it should give nice surface to tile to without lining it.

if i make a few short cuts like 6mm between a board will it b on to tile over thisor should i fill it with filler like no more gaps expanding foam..

if i had hair i would rip it out lol

G

Gazzer

Can you not plane or sand this area down to get rid of the problem. Then over board with no more ply.
I would use screws mate, dont under estimate the strength of adhesive .

G

G1zm0

the rock is about 2-3mm, what would yous solution be to this problem, have to get it all done for sun, wife is staying at sisters as ive took toilet out lol

G

Gazzer

Just get rid of the rocking part by planing or sanding that area then over board with Hardi or No More Ply and then tile..Job done.

G

G1zm0

will give it a try sanding it , would the hardi or nomore ply (unsure where to get this near glasgow, nothing comes up in google) take out the small descrepancy of a mill? is there no leway in tiling ?

G

Gazzer

Use hardi, its stuck with tile adhesive which can be built up a little to get over the problem.
Depends how fussy you are, you could self level with Mapei Fibre Plan.

G

G1zm0

thanx for reply, im not fussy , just want tiles down and not to break under foot.

just need try figure out how to make cuts in backerboard, got quite a few cuts at radiator pipes, cistern water pipe and a 12" box cutout for boxed of pipes.

the room is 44" by 92" and at sink part is extra 27" by 22"

so prob need abt 4 boards?

is it best to use roofing nails to affix aswell as what adhesive?

Reply to small rock ok floor tile?? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
A little help guys. I've been asked to price 71sqm of limestone flooring. My issue is this...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen