Search the forum,

Discuss small rock ok floor tile?? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

G

G1zm0

hi after starting to tile my bathroom it turned in to more than 1 job, the floor around bath,sink and toilet pan were swollen.

the floor is chipboard,the rest of floor looked ok, so i removed these parts and replaced them with same chipboard.

i lay down my plywood(6mm) and screwed it down at every 200mm distance (boy thats a lot of screws).
ive took door of and when dry laying the tiles , just at corner where door is theres a slight rock,( from top right to bottom left), its about a 2-3 mm ( i can fit a plastic school ruler under it) and its only at 1 corner.

i checked the floor and its where the floor comes in under the wall and joins to the hall floorboard (chipboard t&g)

and to lift al that is a major job. will the adhesive correct the rock if i use a little more or will the recomended spread be ok. the tiles are ceramic and the adhesive is Bal Rapidset Flexible... any advice welcome..

(update) i drylayed a few tiles and without cutting them to shape, they also have a small rock in them, just a few tiles, is this a normal characatristic of dry laying tiles and easy overcome, man if tilers have to pull up floor all times i dont envy yous :)

Last edited by a moderator:
G

G1zm0

hi thanx for advice, i will lift the ply, what mm should i use, whats the minimum?. so should i take the bal back to shop and get another kind?

ive searched that much forums and it sayeed it on one of them, something diy i think and the tiler from b&q sayed 6mm is ok .

i wil need to get the new bits cut to size so it can fit in my ford focus, so far i have 3 pieces down, easyer for the tricky cut outs and the amount room ..

G

Gazzer

i see topps do the hardy board, will the 6mm hardy 250 be ok to lay(£12.50) instead of the ply(dump the ply ive got ) or should i go for the 12mm hardy 500 at just £1 dearer.

is it easy to work with and cut?

If your sub floor is sound then 6mm Hardi will be fine. If the floor has any bounce then Ply will add more strength than Hardi backer boards. Remember to secure your sub floor to the joists first too add strength.

Cutting of hardi in straight lines is no problem with their scriber but cuttting around shapes are tricky. I use an angle grinder myself or a rotozip.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to small rock ok floor tile?? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am planning on tiling my concrete garage floor with porcelain tiles. The concrete was laid...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can't seem to find a solid answer as I realise so much depends on multiple factors. I'm...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Replies you've not seen

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.