Currently reading:
slim line

Discuss slim line in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

Discount Tile Supplies

60x30 slim tiles in B&Q are mad by RAK Ceramics. Quality should be good as its RAK. Just be careful as they may bow if you spread adhesive too thick as with any powder type adhesive you will get some shrinkage.

Doubt you should use for floor, may be ok solid bed though on concrete. ( have a look on rak web site)

Thin/slim porcelain tiles are a big thing at the moment in comercial applications, ie over tilling weight reduced.

B&Q testing the waters with it but i reckon it wont last so buy enough to do the job!

Edd

R

Rizzle from the Portizzle

the best way to cut the thin tiles is to scibe lightly snap with your fingers when using adhesives need to be alittle bit wetter not so stiff a good adhesives by tilemaster light weight standard ok to tile floors need to get full coverage b&q tiles look down long edge tend to curl slitly for thin tiles look up porcel-thin let me know what you think will post some pictures latter of my work

R

tilers have been tiling over tiles for years. have tiled many hotels where tiling over for the third time. tiled over many tiled floors fast food outlets commen practice to tile over tiles maybe this is more common down south. where time is always a factor. to take up a well laid floor make good for tilling cost a lot in time and money when you are shop fitting .never had any problems with this on domestic or contract work .tile over tilling at least once every 3 months .first tiled over tiles 25 years ago :thumbsup:

tilers have been tiling over tiles for years. have tiled many hotels where tiling over for the third time. tiled over many tiled floors fast food outlets commen practice to tile over tiles maybe this is more common down south. where time is always a factor. to take up a well laid floor make good for tilling cost a lot in time and money when you are shop fitting .never had any problems with this on domestic or contract work .tile over tilling at least once every 3 months .first tiled over tiles 25 years ago :thumbsup:

Tiling over for a third time. Wouldn't there be an issue with weight here?

J

jay

questions
1 how do you determine that the substrate can carry 3 layers of tiles and adh

2 how do you know the first layer of tiles are secure

3 same goes for the second layer

4 if it fails and someone gets hurt are you prepared to take responsibility and pay compensation .

sound pretty stupid to me that's my opinion others may have different views

D

deankyall

mapei do primers for tiling over tiles,also adhesives ,try fasflex REMOVEDt,as he said tilers have been doing it for years,not always practical to take up a floor,check its solid first.
dont like tiling over tiles, preference is to re sheet walls, never tiled over floor tiles in fact i didnt you could do that as the addy never bonds well enough,
had a look in b&q at tiles and they look pretty flimsy, the guys bathroom i am doing is a kit house so it should be wooden floor with plenty deflection, i have heard thats excellent for laying flimsy thin tiles onto

Last edited by a moderator:
N

NVH Stone & Cer

Boys, I will get the pictures up at some point this week. A friend of mine was having a lot of building work to his new house. So the bathroom work was in the quote. He had me in to tile 150m2 of floors. Any way he had new 1200x600x4.8mm wall tiles and I must say it did look ok, grouting needed re-doing. Any way the problem started when the shower tray needed to be raised two inches. So to help out I said I would take the tiles of round the tray area. My god as I cut the grout line one of the tiles just shattered like glass and the other two just came away from the wall.

PROBLEMS
1, The building company made my friend go and get the adhesive. So he came back with a ready mix wall and grout mix from B and Q (friends not to know).
2, The plastering was so bad.
3, No primer was used anywhere.
4, THIS IS THE BEST BIT. Every tile was dot and dabbed. We are talking 30 to 40 blobs per tile.

It took me and my friend 20 minutes to take 25m2 of the tiles off the walls and we only smashed one and that was when I slipped and my elbow went through it. All the wall just looked like the kids had snow balled it.

The funny things is when the builder came back to the job to finish other work. He had the balls to say I did know what I was talking about and it was safe and the adhesive would go off (been done two weeks and not a dry blob). He said I must need the work to stick my nose in. He just did not see the main point that it was so dangerous, not if but where the tiles start falling off. He told me he had been building 35 years and my tiling for 18 years means nothing. I did point out I may be 36 years young and look good for my age. But put a tile, adhesive and a bathroom in front of me and no builder is going to know more that me.

Trust me I could not build a house, but put a tile in my hands and I know what to do with it.

I will get the pictures up soon

Last edited by a moderator:
R

to check for bonding i will always run a solid metal spanner up and down every tile i will listen for the sounds coming back if lose a hollow sound will come back stands out a mile. i will always chop one or two tiles out to double check .before tilling over tile .ps with the cost of chopping down and making good can come to more than the cost of new tiles and tiling .in these hard times it can be the difference between doing a job or not .

D

deankyall

Your absolutely correct in what you say,I would say that to remove all old tiles,clear from site ,repeater or make good walls,most people are horrified with the cost,that's why if they have to come off ill encourage them to take a weekend to do it,save themselves a few hundred quid,but I've never ever had a call back when I've tiled on tiles.a lot of the old flats and houses round here were fixed sand and cement no chance them coming off
to check for bonding i will always run a solid metal spanner up and down every tile i will listen for the sounds coming back if lose a hollow sound will come back stands out a mile. i will always chop one or two tiles out to double check .before tilling over tile .ps with the cost of chopping down and making good can come to more than the cost of new tiles and tiling .in these hard times it can be the difference between doing a job or not .

Reply to slim line in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you have shower leakage that goes downstairs leading to either your main floor or basement? Read this blog...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.