Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Checkout our Tilers Insurance area for awesome prices on Van Insurance and Public Liability Insurance for Wall and Floor Tilers

Discuss SLC mistake on floor. in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.co.uk.

Tags:
  1. NewbieTiler99

NewbieTiler99 Active Member

Ok, before i start, I totally misread (as in missed!) the priming instructions on the Mapei 1210 SLC and didn't prime my floor before adding the SLC in my understairs toilet :(

Anyway, I poured the well and correctly mixed SLC over old black tile adhesive and everything thus far seems ok! The old adhesive was tested for Asbestos and came back positive but was in a good state, not tacky and very very thin.

It's been 72 hours since the pour and the SLC is sound and i haven't noticed any cracks or hollow sounds upon tapping. I know I've messed up but i wanted to know how long will it be before the floor fails, if it is to fail.

Thanks in advance!

2. pdc

pdc Only a Handyman... Trusted Advisor Professional Tiler

I wouldn't be losing any sleep over it, unless your understairs toilet is 100m2...

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. NewbieTiler99

I assume the room size will make a significant difference?

4. Nic_P74

Nic_P74 TilersForums.co.uk Addict

If it does go wrong it's only a couple of square metres to sort out. Not 100 :thumbsup:

5. Nic_P74

And also yes smaller areas have less chance of movement

6. Tom Astley

Tom Astley Trusted Advisor Professional Tiler

I thought the smallest room in the house has the most movements?......

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Nic_P74

And the largest :tearsofjoy:

8. NewbieTiler99

Thanks for the feedback all. I'm going to leave it as long as possible before i tile the SLC to observe any cracks etc. Just to be on the safe side.

As an aside, if it does fail, can i remove any debris and simply overboard the floor? I wouldn't want to rip out all the SLC for fear of disturbing the bitumen.

Thanks

9. Localtiler

Localtiler Trusted Advisor Professional Tiler JOTM Winner

Tile it and don't worry !

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Plan Tec Tiling

Plan Tec Tiling Administrator Staff Member Trusted Advisor Professional Tiler JOTM Winner Top Contributor

You will be fine

11. pdc

pdc Only a Handyman... Trusted Advisor Professional Tiler

72 hours is more than long enough for it to dry, unless it's 150mm deep! Prime it, tile it, and enjoy it:mask:

12. Waluigi

Waluigi Guest

You mention that you poured the SLC over ‘old black tile adhesive’ and that came back positive for asbestos. Was this Bitumin? And were the old tiles Marley style vinyl tiles?

13. NewbieTiler99

Yes that's right. The asbestos report said Bitumous type product and the old tiles were thermoplastic. The tiles were removed however.

14. Waluigi

Waluigi Guest

Understood.

Yes, standard primer wouldn’t have been enough anyway, it needed either a slurry coat of tile adhesive and SBR or Eco Prime Grip some people use.

It’s unlikely that the SLC will bond properly to the Bitumin and might fail after a few seasons.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. NewbieTiler99

Ah ok. Well as others have said, it's a relatively small area so if it does fail, it'll be annoying but nothing i can complain about due to my own mistakes!

I guess I'll cross that bridge if it comes to it and keep my fingers crossed in the meantime!

• Like Like x 1