Currently reading:
Slate Sealant

Search the forum,

Discuss Slate Sealant in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

A

annawil

I HAVE JUST HAD A SLATE FLOOR PUT IN MYKITCHEN. THE TILER SEALED THE TILES FIRST WITH HG IMPREGNATOR. HOWEVER WE USED THE COOKER IN THE KITCHEN YESTERDAY AND NOW THE FLOOR HAS SPOTS ON IT, PREDOMINATLEY BY THE COOKER, THEFORE I THINK IT MIGHT BE OLIVE OIL (ALTHOUGH NOT CERTAIN). I HAVE WASHED THE FLOOR TWICE WITH FLASH DILUTED IN WATER BUT THE SPOTS REMIAN. ANY ADVICE? I HAVE SEEN HG STAIN REMOVER ON THE NET PUT THID ALSO REMOVES THE IMPREGNATOR, AS FAR AS I UNDERSTAND!MYTILER IS ALSO AT A LOSS AS TO WHY THE IMPREGNATOR APPEARS NOT TO HAVE PROTECTED THE SLATE.:sad_smile: HELP!!

A

annawil

thanks, would it have worked if there had been more coats?or did it need somthing extra on top of it? i ask this as our kichen has an off shoot area also tiled which does not have the marks on it, as its an eating area rather than a cooking area. would it be best to do the whole thing with the stuff you recomend, both the removal and the reseal or can we pop the last coat of the new stuff on top of this area or is that not going to work? sorry for all the questions, im finding this all a bit stressfull!

G

GazTech

HG impregnator does not in fact impregnate into the tile to protect it.It works only as a sealant,therefore needs to be replaced you can view my old thread about selants on forum
icon14.gif

----
Added post information (due to double posting):
----
http://www.tilersforums.com/floor-tiling-forums/1378-impregnator-sealants.html here is the link annawil hope it helps

Last edited by a moderator:
A

annawil

yep, i think so, ive rang tile it all as well and they recomend the hg impregnator, they say that if my tiler hasnt wiped the excess of the tiles it will have sat on the top rather than absorb(although that is different advice from earlier as my undertanding was it was sealant and not absorbed into the tile!). basically what should i ask the tiler to do? remove it all and put somthing else on or clean up the tiles effected so far with gh stain remover and then put more hg impreginator over the whole lot, including the ones that arnt damaged?

G

GazTech

yep, i think so, ive rang tile it all as well and they recomend the hg impregnator, they say that if my tiler hasnt wiped the excess of the tiles it will have sat on the top rather than absorb(although that is different advice from earlier as my undertanding was it was sealant and not absorbed into the tile!). basically what should i ask the tiler to do? remove it all and put somthing else on or clean up the tiles effected so far with gh stain remover and then put more hg impreginator over the whole lot, including the ones that arnt damaged?
i would ask him to remove HG stuff off effected tiles,use the HG remover on stained area before re-sealing it.Another light coat of impregnator over the lot including grout lines wouldn't do any harm,it's a try it and see job i'm afraid.

Reply to Slate Sealant in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.