Search the forum,

Discuss Slate bathroom : stains, sealing and cracked grouting. in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

M

Mcarey

Hi,
We've just bought a house, and have a ten month old demanding baby :). The previous owners had a flood and the bathroom was redone. It has a slate floor and shower( slate walls). The grouting is cracked in the shower, and it leaks through the kitchen ceiling when running for too long- is this due to the cracked grout, or should there be something behind the tiles to stop this? The slate doesn't appear to be sealed and the bathroom now has lots of white marks I can't get rid of, what should I do? Any help massively appreciated. Anything that takes a long time is somewhat hard due to my little one, and I feel a bit stuck.

kilty55

TF
Arms
Reaction score
oh dear doesnt sound good.....check with the shower down the tray only first to see if its the pipe work thats leaking is what i would suggest to elimanate thats as well but by the sounds of it it may well all need stripped out

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Some picks would help.
Is it cracked in the corners or in the grout lines, is it siliconed in the corners and shower base ?

M

Mcarey

Hi all,

attached is pictures of the cracked groouting, it runs vertically along where the two walls meet. don't know about the seal, seems sealed. I've attached a picture anyhow! also a picture of the staining (hmmm only two photos are appearing, perhaps there is a limit). Many thanks everyone! 282.jpg 279.jpg

Attachments

• 286.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 108
M

Mcarey

Oh ok! That sounds easy enough ( I hope). Thank so much. I could do that and see if we still have a leak * sigh*

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Ps the marks are possibly from shampoo/soap being used over time and the tiles not being cleaned regularly, they also could not of been sealed

Reply to Slate bathroom : stains, sealing and cracked grouting. in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen