Search the forum,

Discuss Shower ceiling material? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

A

adhudson

Hi, I have just finished tanking and tiling a shower over a bath. A neighbour was visiting and he came to view my handiwork, he then suggested that due to the high level of the showerhead I needed to cover the ceiling with acrylic sheet. He was concerned about mildew forming as he had this problem himself. My question is what material would be used for the ceiling sheeting in these circumstances? And any ideas where I could get it!

C

Colour Republic

I'm guessing your neighbour doesn't have an extractor fan fitted in his bathroom; poor ventilation is more than likely causing his mildew problems

D

DHTiling

Wickes do the pvc cladding for ceilings.....but that will mildew like CR sez if poor ventilation..

D

Deleted member 1779

Boring old plasterboard for me....

Plus a coat of paint.

And an extract fan. 5 years later = no mould !

plasterboard.jpg

A

adhudson

Very impressive and it sounds as though this would be a good solution. My only doubt is that the water tanks sit above the bathroom so ceiling mounted fan above the shower would be difficult.

I see the wickes cladding is the correct length but I would prefer a complete sheet (1.8 x 0.8 m). Is Acrylic, pvc the answer. Pardon my ignorance of plastics!

C

Colour Republic

Boring old plasterboard for me....

Plus a coat of paint.

And an extract fan. 5 years later = no mould !

And very clean grout!!!!

Is that a hudson reed shower and does that shower door seal to the tiles when closed? if so who's it by?

C

Colour Republic

Very impressive and it sounds as though this would be a good solution. My only doubt is that the water tanks sit above the bathroom so ceiling mounted fan above the shower would be difficult.

I see the wickes cladding is the correct length but I would prefer a complete sheet (1.8 x 0.8 m). Is Acrylic, pvc the answer. Pardon my ignorance of plastics!

as you have the shower fitted above the bath you could site an extractor anywhere in the bathroom, ceiling mounted fans are very useful in an enclosure as the steam will build up quicker but in your case not required.

If you have vents in your windows then that will help straight away

D

DHTiling

If you google...you can get plastic sheets for cladding in 1 mtr wide sheets...mostly used for walls but if you frame the ceiling out then it will work for support..

You could always vent the fan out an external wall...:thumbsup:

D

Deleted member 1779

Bog standard bit of glass made by my wifes company.

Fittings from internet company.

Shower off ebay.

shower1.jpg

Grout still comes up lovely (cleaners in each week!)

No the door doesnt seal against the wall on the open side. Sorry... But the base is wide at 900mm so the downforce is not aimed at the door. Only snag is the body-jets cant really be used with force due to leakage.

C

Colour Republic

Very nice, I like the frameless look... My brother is the manager of a large glazing firm and do you know what, it's never occured to me for him to make mw up a shower door!!:mad2: I feel quite stupid now!

The shower is a Hudson Reed now looking at it in full, they do make some nice stuff at very good prices

Reply to Shower ceiling material? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen