Search the forum,

Discuss Should we be worried about these large companies going bust are near to. in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I went very quiet at the beginning of the year.
Even had a week off where I ran out of work.
I'm convinced it was all to do with brexit, people worried about job security etc.
Now the government has ball's it all up I think people have just got totally fed up with it, and carried on as normal.
And Now, I've never been so busy, turning work away on a daily basis.

As for the big builders, I heard on the wireless, persimmons made a small fortune selling Homes on the government right to buy schemes, and in most cases the home owners would have been better off just buying the house themselves..

D

Dumbo

I went very quiet at the beginning of the year.
Even had a week off where I ran out of work.
I'm convinced it was all to do with brexit, people worried about job security etc.
Now the government has ball's it all up I think people have just got totally fed up with it, and carried on as normal.
And Now, I've never been so busy, turning work away on a daily basis.

As for the big builders, I heard on the wireless, persimmons made a small fortune selling Homes on the government right to buy schemes, and in most cases the home owners would have been better off just buying the house themselves..
That's how I heard it on jezza vine

C

Concrete guy

IMO Brexit (and all the fluff surrounding it) is hiding a much bigger global problem.

The world economy never actually recovered from the credit crunch 10 years ago, a combination of the vacuum of zero percent interest rates and printing money has kept it at bay for a decade. When looked at in detail the major banks (particularly in the USA) are in a bigger pile of poo now than they were 10 years ago.

If you've not watched the film "The Big Short" I advise you do, it really demonstrates how ludicrous capitalism based on banking and FIAT currencies is. It also manages to do so in an entertaining and genuinely funny way.

Now is the time to cut overheads if you have any, save cash and put it somewhere it won't get decimated (premium bonds and such).

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
lots of the large construction giants have little or no real control over the costs of building on site. they tender at rock bottom prices and hope to make their money by extras or spec changes but much of this gets eaten up by overspends, over runs and generally crap building. No such thing as a fixed price contract in reality. Lots of the smaller and mid sized guys get sucked into the issues due to poor cash flow brought on by extended payment terms and invoice querying. And Anyone who thinks Brexit is not affecting us is a nutter...

T

Time's Ran Out

@Ajax123 - I’ve been self employed for 46 years and nothing in the EEC or Brexit has any influence on my income. I will go anywhere to find and do work and all I ask is to be paid - not 1 person is responsible for my family - but me.
I’ve had £38 in 46 years from a British government in subsidy.
So if that makes me a nutter then give me the crayons!
I never voted to join the EEC, the Common Market for trade yes, but not to be governed by Germans/French......etc.
The opportunity to take back control was offered and taken. Democracy needs to be seen.

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
The only way brexit is affecting anything or anybody is the way the government are just pissing about to make sure or try their dammed hardest not to leave .
Scaremongering at its finest

D

Dumbo

To be honest I think bojo will be prime minister and will take us through brexit then once that has settled down good or bad he will then get the push from his own party

Reply to Should we be worried about these large companies going bust are near to. in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen