Discuss Shluter Ditra matting adhesives question in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

W

what

I intend to tile the floors of an extension and existing kitchen area with calibrated slate tiles. The existing floor area is a suspended chipboard floor which I need to pull up and re-install as it sloping and does not align with the concrete floor which was laid about 8 months ago. I will take the opportunity to stabilize it further with additional joists, noggins, more sleeper walls and ply . There won’t be any under floor heating.
There will be an interface joint between the concrete and wood floor sealed with polysulphide mastic on the tile joint.
My question concerns the use of ditra matting in both areas. I will be using Ardex AF 200 to bond the ditra to the wooden floor -What is the recommended adhesive to bond the tiles to the matting in this situation?
I understand that it is advisable that tiles should be decoupled even on stable concrete floors using ditra - what are the recommended adhesives for bonding the matting to the concrete and the tiles to the matting.
Apart from the Ardex, I am considering using Dunlop flexible C2F large format & natural stone adhesive or Unibond rapid set grey (as it inexpensive from B&Q trade point) in all the above situations
- will these be compatible?.
or do I need something more flexible for bonding the tiles onto the matting on the suspended wooden floor?

W

what

Hi
After further research I have discovered that I require a dry set non polymer enriched or unmodified mortar for use with ditra. I now need to find a brand, I think Mapei floor and wall tile mortar might be one.

W

White Room

Did you get your information from the American market, we use a flexible modified adhesive in the UK for ditra....

D

DHTiling

I agree with Ditra on the timber section but IMO it is not needed on the screed part.. as above , the info you have read is from Schluter.com and not Schluter.uk

W

what

Hi There
thanks for your replies . I'm not sure why the geographical source of the Shluter information could have any bearing on this issue as its the same product worldwide.
Anyway, here is some information from the company (Schluter) with regard to modified thinset :

"Can ceramic tile, including porcelain tile, be set on
DITRA with latex-modified thin-set mortar?
ANSWER
We DON’T recommend it. Here’s why:
Latex-modified mortars must air dry for the polymers to coalesce and form a hard
film in order to gain strength. When sandwiched between two impervious materials
such as DITRA and ceramic tile, including porcelain tile, drying takes place very
slowly through the open joints in the tile covering. [According to the TCA Handbook
for Ceramic Tile Installation, this drying period can fluctuate from 14 days to over
60 days, depending on the geographic location, the climatic conditions, and whether
the installation is interior or exterior]. Therefore, extended cure times would be required
before grouting if using modified thin-set mortars between DITRA and ceramic tile,
including porcelain tile. If extended cure times were not observed, the results could be
unpredictable. This is even more important to consider in exterior applications that are
exposed to rain as there is the additional concern of latex leaching."

I have tried to reasearch this matter quite extensively and discovered that there appears to be a lot of conflicting information about, however this is from the horses mouth.

In the light of this I am considering using Mapei Kerabond.

Reply to Shluter Ditra matting adhesives question in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
A little help guys. I've been asked to price 71sqm of limestone flooring. My issue is this...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

Replies you've not seen

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Teejay