Search the forum,

Discuss Serpentine floor tile spalling in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

D

Deleted member 52962

Hello, hopefully someone can help me. I purchased Vermont Verde Green Marble floor tiles. It came with no instructions so it was installed like a marble with a 1/4" backerboard, redguard and then a modified thin-set, then grouted and sealed with Aquamix sealers choice gold.
Soon after I thought it looked a little bowed in some areas. Several days later I noticed some areas were rough with a metallic pitted sparkle to it. I kinda knew right then and there that this was not a marble. I found the company's website, turns out it is Vermont Verde Antique, a serpentine tile. I also realized the metallic rough areas were what I believe to be "spalling", a result of improper installation. The slight bowed effect oddly enough is gone, tiles are flat, but the roughness remains in spots.
I don't know what to do, visually it is still a nice looking floor, can it be left alone with the spalling? or will it get worse in time? It's very slight only at the surface, pits are small, not deep.

D

Deleted member 52962

Thank you for the link. I read the whole thing and it was encouraging. The Asbestos part was a bit scary though.
I went up to the tiles with a magnifying glass and flashlight. The metallic flecks are only in the areas of the white webbing/veining, and the flecks are very small, like pin head small, and numourous, as if it was sprinkled it with glitter. These are the only areas affected and the only areas that feel like sandpaper. The dark areas are smooth where there is no webbing.
I have a few unused pieces, they feel totally smooth and polished throughout, with less webbing but I can see the metallics under the surface, just not as numorous . Something happened during installation to bring these "metallic scales" to the surface, I assume the wet app?
As long as it stays like this and doesn't errode then I will be a happy camper, but I am very worried it can become a problem down the road.
I took pictures, sadly it does not show much of a texture in photos, but you can see some glistening where the metallic flecks are. (please excuse the canister light reflection)

IMG_5157.JPG

IMG_5151.JPG

IMG_5154.JPG

D

Deleted member 52962

That’s a beautiful floor, hope you can find your answers.
I’ll keep digging, I know a person or two who might be able to shed more light on the subject.

Thank you :)
It really does look nice, you can't tell anything is wrong until you feel the white webbed areas.
Hopefully I can get a hold of the quarry on Monday and see if they have any answers.

D

Deleted member 52962

I know he cleaned the floor, I assume he let it dry a bit and then put on the sealer.
I am going to try if I can scrape off a rough area, in an inconspicuous spot and see what the fleck looks like up close.
Thank you so much for your help :)
[automerge]1569783069[/automerge]
Ok, I just rubbed a wood shimmy over a small area over the webbing that had rough spots. I wiped it with a damp cloth and it feels smooth. What ever it was scraped off. The tile looks smooth in that small area, and more polished.
So is this a good sign?

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Serpentine floor tile spalling in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am planning on tiling my concrete garage floor with porcelain tiles. The concrete was laid...
Replies
Views
Hello there, Relatively recently we had a new en-suite fitted (complete rip out of the old...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Replies you've not seen