Search the forum,

Discuss Self adhesive tile removal in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

R

RDTiling

Hello all.

I'm in the process of redoing our kitchen (full refit).

The old laminate was lifted and under it are two layers of self adhesive tiles (rather than floorboards as I expected!) I've removed a couple of the top layer tiles (with considerable effort - which resulted in 'chipping away' small bits of the tile, as they are stuck solid).

My question is - do I persevere with the removal of them (i'm considering a heat gun to try and soften them first), or would covering them with an SBR slurry coat prior to overboarding with hardie (glued and screwed) prior to tling be sufficient.

We've not picked the tiles yet, but we'll be going for procelain, 600 x 300 or very close to that size.

I'll get a couple of pictures up shortly - the plasterers are in doing their thing at the moment!

Thanks in advance,
Rich

Last edited by a moderator:
P

prceramics

i have removed these quite quickly before with an sds drill and a wide chissel bit, make sure you have googles and mask on it is messy

R

RDTiling

Here are a couple of pics - shame they have to come up - very stylish!!! :yikes:

image.jpg image.jpg

P

prceramics

you can buy a quite heavy duty sds from screwfix for around the £50 mark if you was closer you could of borrowed mine lol

R

RDTiling

you can buy a quite heavy duty sds from screwfix for around the £50 mark if you was closer you could of borrowed mine lol

That was a very kind offer!

I've managed to remove a small area relatively painlessly by putting a damp towel down and simply ironing over it a few times. It softens it up enough so that with a bit of a scrape they come up.

The second layer of tiles has left behnd a really sticky residue. Would a slurry coat be my best option before laying my backer boards?

R

RDTiling

Thanks Dave.

Wasn't sure if it would need covered first, but that makes like easier for me!

Reply to Self adhesive tile removal in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen