Search the forum,

Discuss Seals and stains on Caithness Stone / Scottish Slate in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

stanbalder

Hey Folks,

I am putting down some Caithness stone in a kitchen area. The stone is laid and now needs sealed. I have some Lithofin MN StainStop left over from a previous job and have applied this. I spoke to Lithofin themselves and they recommended I use this.

I have prepared a sample tile with the MN StainStop. The problem is, it stains. I spilt some oil on the sample, and its pretty obvious, and doesn't clean off. Can anyone help? Are there other sealants that would work / are better for kitchens or am I simply using the wrong cleaning products to shift the stain.

Regards

Stan

D

DHTiling

Hi Stan.. How long did you leave the sealer once applied before doing this test.? and how many coats..?

S

stanbalder

Hi Dave,

Thanks for your reply, it was one coat only, and I left it 24 hours before putting oil on it.

Having noted on the tech sheet they say 5 days keeping the stains off, perhaps I have been hasty in my testing?

Regards,

Stan

D

DHTiling

I think so and you need to add sealer till the stone will not take anymore.. then yes leave to cure..:)

Reply to Seals and stains on Caithness Stone / Scottish Slate in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen